Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unexpected shutdown while using windows xp

• Please log in to reply

missytrix24

missytrix24

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am a technical layman and on searching the forums for a similar problem, I have not found one that matches exactly.

My problem is that while using my laptop, it sometimes just switches itself off while plugged in and when I power it on again, the desktop has a white background with a message stating it is now in 'active desktop recovery mode' and that the compouter may have shut down unexpectedly and it lists a few solutions with one being 'restore my active desktop' but when I click that, nothing happens and I just go into the control panel and re-select the picture i use for my destop background.

I don't know why this is happening, and have scanned my com for viruses and defragmented it, but this sudden shutdown keeps occuring. At 1st I thought it may have something to do with overheating, as I found that when I elevated the laptop higher (by placing books, under the 4 feet), the shut down didn't happen as quickly, but it still happens, even when I have it elevated higher. I have 2 fan vent holes and the one neareast the adapter plug gets quite warm.

The fan may have nothing to do with it, but it does not shutdown as fast when elevated.

Does anybody know what is going on?

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post details of the laptop please, make model and if there is one Service number. You will find these on the base - most likely.
May I presume the laptop is being operated on a hard surface and not on a settee etc.
Click START Right click My computer and post details of processor and ram from General tab.
Come back pls with that info.
As it is a few hours since you started the thread, if you do not receive the reply immediately, start up the laptop, DO NOT CONNECT to the internet, do not run any program, leave it on and see if it stays on for say 30 minutes (depending on Power settings) we can look at that later. If it does DO THIS - Click START type in RUN "msconfig" without the colons and follow this

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
Step 2: Configure selective startup options
In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Step 3: Log on to Windows
If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Now see how things are and report back please.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello missytrix24...

You're describing classic overheating symptoms. Have you tried cleaning the vent areas with compressed air? (Available in aerosol cans at most office supply stores.)

wannabe1

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I've had the laptop since 2005; it's a Toshiba and there are several stickers on the base, but the one I think you want details of contains the following
Toshiba
Windows XP home edition EN
Model name: satellite P30-145
Model no PSP30E-21902QAB
DC 19V
P4 538/512/60G42/17WTDS2/LM/W
serial no. 55255998K
The laptop is being run from a flat surface

Under the general tab from the properties of my computer, we have: Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, and 3.20GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

I am starting to think there is some kind of problem with the system overheating as a relative of mine had a similar problem and eventually the time between turning on the com and it turning off became shorter and shorter until one day it would not come on.

Looking forward to some help.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I've had the laptop since 2005; it's a Toshiba and there are several stickers on the base, but the one I think you want details of contains the following
Toshiba
Windows XP home edition EN
Model name: satellite P30-145
Model no PSP30E-21902QAB
DC 19V
P4 538/512/60G42/17WTDS2/LM/W
serial no. 55255998K
The laptop is being run from a flat surface

Under the general tab from the properties of my computer, we have: Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, and 3.20GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

I am starting to think there is some kind of problem with the system overheating as a relative of mine had a similar problem and eventually the time between turning on the com and it turning off became shorter and shorter until one day it would not come on.

Looking forward to some help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you check the other topic you have started on this? This is a good example of why you should only have one topic going on a given problem.

Other Topic

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
No, I haven't tried cleaning the vents with a spray, but the vents look pretty clear, but I will try that when I get the chance. I posted this thread twice as the 1st time, somebody told me I was in the wrong the wrong forum. I am checking replies from both though

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
After following the advice of Macboatmaster about system configuration utility, on restarting the computer a box pops up stating:
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

so far today, my laptop has been on for about an hour.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sometimes you can't really tell how dirty the fan(s) are from the outside of a laptop. And compressed air, from the outside, may not be able to completely solve the problem either.

For example, here's what I frequently find when disassembling a laptop that's shutting down because of overheating:

Posted Image

Also note that when using compressed air, use something to block/stop the fan from spinning. Overspinning (spinning the fan too fast) can ruin the bearings.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes you will, as per my post 2. but I missed the bottom lines off re the message you had on your screen in post 6.

If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 April 2010 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Click START Right click My computer and post details of processor and ram from General tab.
Come back pls with that info

From my post 2 - please supply as requested.

HOWEVER I HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD ALREADY POSTED and received a reply from Wannabe1.
Failure of active desktop and switching off is not always OVERHEATING but could well be, WHY not do as he suggested in the first place and then come back if you still have a problem.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 April 2010 - 12:29 PM.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi Mac,

I tried what Wannabe1 suggested, I added two comments by mistake so sorry If I caused any offence. Problem persists

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Sometimes you can't really tell how dirty the fan(s) are from the outside of a laptop. And compressed air, from the outside, may not be able to completely solve the problem either.

For example, here's what I frequently find when disassembling a laptop that's shutting down because of overheating:

Posted Image

Also note that when using compressed air, use something to block/stop the fan from spinning. Overspinning (spinning the fan too fast) can ruin the bearings.

Do you suggest that I open up my laptop and give it a proper going over? As I mentioned before I am a complete girly girl (single with a thing for technically minded men BTW) and have no idea how to do that. Would you suggest I take the laptop to a technician to do the spraying?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No offence, whatsoever.
Wannabe1 was kind enough to jump back in on this, as it appears you never answered his post on the other thread.
Do not worry about it, lets see if we can sort the issue.
Post 7 & 8 for your attention pls.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nobody takes offense at these things, missytrix24...it just makes it more difficult for us to keep track of what's been suggested and what hasn't. I work from my phone a lot and having to constantly navigate between pages gets a little frustrating sometimes. I'll merge the posts I can from the other topic to this one and close the other topic...let's all work here.