Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I am trying to help a friend out with her laptop. It is running Win XP Home Edition 2002 SP3. She has Norton Security Scan ver. 2.7.4.15, Spybot S&D, Malware Bytes-AntiMalware. She tells me the other morning she had a message about Windows having detected viruses and needing to do a scan. Since she is aware of the Rogue Antivirus Malware, she exited out quickly and performed a scan with everything she has, there were some tracking cookies detected and removed. Since then she has been getting the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. She has researched trying to find a solution, I told her I would try for her. Initially I thought she didn't have IE access at all, she said she couldn't even access it safe mode. But I have found one user has access and Safe Mode has access. I have created a new user account and it has access. But the main user account has programs that have been installed exclusively to that user and to obtain another license is costly. I have used the instructions provided through MS with no luck. I have disabled service in msconfig, disabled everything at start up, compared all the network connection setting for the two accounts and to another XP system I have. The Network diagnostic for Windows XP give me the following error:

"Windows cannot connect to the the internet using HTTP,HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by a firewall setting on the computer."

I have disable the firewall, and received the same blank page. In another thread I found instruction about TCP/IP Stack repair options
I have reset the WINSOCK and TCP/IP Stack to the defaults and I have flushdns and registerdns per these instructions:

"For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK
To Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter
To Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter &

click on start...run...type in cmd...press enter
in the dos box type in ...ipconfig /flushdns you should get a message that it was successful..
then type in ...ipconfig /registerdns
when done type in exit..press enter and reboot".

I am willing to following step by step instructions to confirm I have perfomed everything properly.

I forgot to mention this is IE7. I haven't attempted to download any other browser since IE is the preference. If I download IE8 will it apply to all users? And, should I download it in safe mode as administrator?

I realize this is a really long post :) and I am quite the newbie :) , but I would really appreaciate some help :).

Thank you.

Advertisements

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
This topic has been resolved here:
http://www.geekstogo...wn-t274182.html