Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E.8 problem launching...

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi,

Within the last week or so I've noticed Internet Explorer 8 is failing to launch quite frequently, requiring a PC restart to put it right (temporarily). This is gradually getting more frequent.

I've been using IE8 since it was on general release and got over the (many) problems with it stopping, failing to respond or freezing. Then had a trouble-free period, and now this has started!

The problem (on my Vista laptop, not on my XP desktop) is getting gradually worse.

I can click on ANY of the 3 or 4 icons relating to I.E.8 and nothing happens. Sometimes if I right click and select "Run as Administrator" it will launch, but as I'm the ONLY user and already using the Administrator account I'm unsure as to the cause of the problem.
One option would be uninstall IE8 and reinstall it (or something else), but how would I connect to the Internet to install another browser if I've uninstalled my web browser?

Oddly, there is NO sign of a problem in Event Viewer.

Any help/ideas, would be appreciated.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 11 April 2010 - 02:41 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If your Vista originally came with IE7, when you uninstall IE8, it'll revert itself to IE7.
It's also always a good idea to have another browser installed. Download Firefox installation file on working computer and move it to bad computer. Install Firefox.

Is there a reason, you don't have SP2 installed?

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

If your Vista originally came with IE7, when you uninstall IE8, it'll revert itself to IE7.
It's also always a good idea to have another browser installed. Download Firefox installation file on working computer and move it to bad computer. Install Firefox.

Is there a reason, you don't have SP2 installed?

Hi Broni,

I've read up what Microsoft recommend, but their instructions are wrong for my PC for some reason!
I cannot remove I.E. 8 using the method suggested. When I look in Programs & Features I.E. isn't even listed as being installed, so how can I uninstall it?

Yes, I DO have Vista Home Premium SP2 installed, I'd just forgotten to update my profile (done it now). Why, is that relevent?

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 11 April 2010 - 01:58 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IE8 is considered as Windows update in Vista.
Look here how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Yes, thanks Broni, I did read this before posting here. Typically my installlation of I.E.8 doesn't show up - even as an installed update, so I went to the alternative instructions given by Microsoft:
= = = = = = = =
Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows Server 2008:
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
Carefully select and then copy the following command:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
Click Start, and then type Cmd.exe in the Start Search box.
In the list of programs, right-click Cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
Right-click inside the Administrator: Command Prompt window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.
= = = = = =
I chickened out :) , as if it is humanly possible to mess this up (and I suspect it IS) then I'm better off not risking it! No matter HOW careful I am with these sorts of instructions I always end up in worse trouble! :) E.G: It may be obvious to YOU but where it says, "Carefully select and then copy the following command:", it doesn't mention WHERE I'm supposed to copy the command TO!

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 11 April 2010 - 02:26 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You paste it into Command Prompt window.
It's always a good idea to create fresh restore point while performing operations like that.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

You paste it into Command Prompt window.
It's always a good idea to create fresh restore point while performing operations like that.

OK, thanks Broni. My (elderly) brain is at saturation point this evening.
I shall attempt the removal of I.E.8 in the morning (having created a restore point first), and will also probably install Firefox so I have an alternative browser for any future issues I may encounter.

Thanks for your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)