Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCPIP removed due to virus

• Please log in to reply

mgwb

mgwb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System running windows XP Pro. Using IE, was getting redirected from google to sites that were not the correct sites. Microsoft Security Essentials detected an instance of "Alureon.H". The files infected were removed but unfortunately it was the following:

driver: Tcpip
file: c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
regkey: HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\SAFEBOOT\NETWORK\Tcpip
safeboot: HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\SAFEBOOT\NETWORK\Tcpip
service: Tcpip

Now there is no network activity at all. I have replaced the tcpip.sys file with ones from working systems as well as from an XP Pro CD but still getting error message stating: "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." whenever I try to repair the network connections for the computer. I am showing no IP address and IP config will not work either. I get the error: "An internal error occurred: The request is not supported. Additional information: Unable to query host name."

I have used some suggestions I found online such as "ipfix", "winsockFix", as well as using a Microsoft autofix exe to reset the TCPIP settings.

I am still stuck with the same error after all of that. I have run Malwarebytes to check for anything else that might be around on the system but its coming up clean. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Advertisements

mgwb

mgwb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update

I was able to get the connection to work partially by uninstalling the driver and reinstalling. I should have done that first but i was stuck on it being a software issue. Im still not able to connect to the internet but I can now access the modem and I can even ping websites like Yahoo by IP address. I cannot however browse by name or by IP address. I realize I have a DNS problem and I am still unable to get the ipconfig command to work at all. Just wanted to update in case anyone reads and can throw me anymore info. Thank you.