Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with software to go with Fujitsu scanner

• Please log in to reply

mas363

mas363

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi -- I live in a small apartment and am trying to save space by getting my paper files scanned and organized on my computer. I am going to buy the Fujitsu Scansnap S1300 scanner. This model does not come with Adobe Acrobat and I am really getting confused about what software I need to purchase. I would like to able to save my scanned documents in an organized intuitive way. I'd also like to be able to search them based on file name and contents. I am not very savvy technically and would really appreciate some help and advice -- here are my questions:

1) Do I have to buy Adobe Acrobat? It is expensive! Is there another software (potentially free) that I could use to get the same functionality?

2) There is a higher priced Fujitsu S1300 scanner bundled package that comes with Rack2-Filer V5.0 software. The reviews on this software aren't great. Is there another software that could help me manage files? Can Adobe Acrobat do this too?

3) Can someone who understands the scanning process just help me with how things work? If I get Adobe Acrobat, and the Rack2-Filer software, what does each of these do and how are they different? Do I need both of them (or software similar to both of them)?

Thank you!

Mary

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
mas363-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Adobe Acrobat is used to create and modify PDF files (Portable Document Format files); PDF is a universal document extension. You don't need Adobe Acrobat to simply view PDF files; for that purpose, you only need Adobe Reader, which is free.

Acrobat won't really help with scanning. Usually, when you scan a file and save it to your computer, you save it as some type of picture file (usually a JPEG). Acrobat does not manage JPEG files and will be of no use to you in that situation.

I've never used Rack2-Filer V5.0, but from what I found online, it seems pretty useless. Newer versions of Windows are sufficient in managing your scanned files; you don't need specialized software to help you with this. Companies include their software to make you think their product is more valuable, but in reality you don't need it at all.

Newer peripherals like printers and scanners come with USB cables that plug into your computer; they are very easy to setup and install. From there, you will be able to scan using the scanner itself (reading the instruction manual is wonderful) and save the scanned-in files to your computer through Windows. Windows will also let you tag photos to organize them by keyword, date, etc.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)