Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

one short beep at every boot up?

• Please log in to reply

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a new computer and here are its specs:

# AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 955 (3.2GHz) AM3

# THERMALTAKE HIGH PERFORMANCE CPU COOLER

# ASRock M3A785GXH/128M Motherboard

# 4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600

# Hitachi/WD 500GB 0A33437 SATA2 U300 7200rpm 16MB RoHS

# LG/SAMSUNG 22X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE

# ATI Radeon HD 3200 FULL HD 1080p 512MB DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card (Onboard)

# REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

# REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

# OKIA 80MM CASE COOLER

# OKIA 550 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Every time when I turn on the computer, it will always give me one short beep then it goes into the welcome screen. I just want to know if this is normal. If it's not, could you guide me through the solution to solving this issue? Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This is EXACTLY what you want to hear when booting, one (and only one), short beep. That signals the POST (power-on self-test) completed properly. It is when you hear a repeating beep that indicates an error.

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
But on some computers, that doesn't happen, why is that? I'm just curious. And, is there a way to make it not beep at every boot up? It kindda annoys me. Thanks for helping.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

But on some computers, that doesn't happen, why is that?

A very common reason these days is simply because many case makers are cutting costs by not including a case speaker with the case. And not all motherboard makers have started to compensate for that by including a pizo or button speaker on their boards. The beep is there, just no speaker to hear it. These are system beeps, created by the BIOS before the hard drive is touched during the boot process. This is why the sound comes from the internal case speaker, and not the normal computer speakers - which need Windows and sound drivers to produce sounds.

I don't know how to disable it, short of disconnecting the wires - and that's not possible with motherboard mounted speakers. You can look in your BIOS Setup Menu for an option to disable it. That said, I think you should learn to like it. It tells you your RAM, CPU, motherboard and graphics processor all passed self-testing - and that's a good thing. It is when you don't hear it that you need to pay attention.

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I see. Thanks for the informative explanation. I'm learning a lot from here. Thanks again. Have a great day!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Thanks again. Have a great day!

You are welcome, and you too!