Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor disappears and can't type

• Please log in to reply

guinnesswalleye

guinnesswalleye

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have read thru the forums going way back and do not find this answer.
OS XP on wife's PC and this has shown up in the past two months. In any application (email, Word, web, etc) whenever you start typing the cursor disappears and the frame around the window you are typing in fades out so you cannot type anymore until you click back on the spot. Can only type a letter or two before it happens again. I have run virus scan and spy ware scans, also HD diagnostics, defrag, etc and no problems. Also checked the setting for "hide cursor while typing".
Thanks if someone can help because I do not like sharing my PC with her. Anything else but that!

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Have you tried a different keyboard and mouse? What type of mouse and keyboard does it have?

One other thing, and yesssss this may be stupid and irrelevant, but I have solved more computer problems this way than any other.
How often is it rebooted? Have you tried shutting it down and unplugging the power for about 5-10 min?

guinnesswalleye

guinnesswalleye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
good point, seemed like such a software thing I did not change out the mouse to try that, also no stupid questions so no stupid answers. My reply to my wife is usually "reboot" and call me back but this time I actually shut it down and opened up the cover to blow out dust etc. The drive is making some bad noise so could be the cause? Was going to have to swap out HD soon I guess. Thanks, will swap mouse and see what happens.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Your Hard Drive is making a bad noise? What is the make and model?

guinnesswalleye

guinnesswalleye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was wrong, just opened her up and now see that it is the cooling fan making all the racket not the drive. Going upstairs to try a different mouse now.
Dell Dimension 4600C with XP pro.

guinnesswalleye

guinnesswalleye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
just think I found out what is happening but don't know why.
this PC is on a USB 802 11g wireless adapter to our router in the basement.
getting very good to excellent signal and connection and have it set up for password encryption.
When I pulled the USB out of the back of the tower and tried typing I got no problem but of course only in Word docs etc on the PC, so when I reconnected to router same old problem comes up with web stuff and with anything on PC.
The PC I am using to send this message is next to router and cabled with ethernet cat-5.
So that changes from a software or hardware to what?
thanks and I appreciate the time. Will retire for the evening (am in central time zone) and look for reply tomorrow. Regards.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hmmm... Does it connect to the internet fine? That's so weird. Do you happen to have any other adapters laying around? Maybe you could try a different one. Do you have any other USB things connected? Like is the mouse and keyboard usb?

P.S. I'm at work and today is going to be really busy, so don't expect a reply from me for a while. :)

guinnesswalleye

guinnesswalleye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hmmm... Does it connect to the internet fine? That's so weird. Do you happen to have any other adapters laying around? Maybe you could try a different one. Do you have any other USB things connected? Like is the mouse and keyboard usb?

P.S. I'm at work and today is going to be really busy, so don't expect a reply from me for a while. :)

Fixed the problem by swapping the usb wireless adapter, changed brands and works fine now, sorry for waiting so long to let you know problem is resolved.
thanks!