Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall Issues and Dial Up Internet Access problems

• Please log in to reply

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hope for help with my Internet issue. And thanks.

I am on dialup (no other access available). I have had the game Civilization on my computer for a while. The game stopped working, so I tried to uninstall. The Microsoft system, which had successfully uninstalled the game before, was unable to do so this time. In an attempt to get it off my Dell Precision Laptop, I used System Restore and went “back in time” a couple of weeks. This did not work either. However, I now had two of every icon on my desktop (2 shortcuts to Civilization, 2 Recycle Bins, etc.).

I then downloaded Revo Uninstaller Pro. It removed the game and put all the ‘extra icons’ that had been on the desktop, into the Recycle Bin. I was able to reinstall Civilization. I also uninstalled something called Internet Lock. (I have typed out a list of everything that is now in the Recycle Bin. I will provide this list if needed.)

The problem is, while I can connect to the IP, I can no longer access any sites (though I can pull up IE, but it takes me nowhere).

I restored the deleted Registry Items that were in the Recycle Bin, and they appeared on the desktop as an icon. When I double click that icon, a Registry Editor pop-up appears. It says “Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\uninstall.reg to the registry?” There is a button yes and a button no. Which button do I hit, if any?

I have an Anti Virus control program, which cannot, of course, now access the internet. I also have Hijack This.

Help would be very much appreciated.

CharlesCC

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to the Forum
You have I think, got yourself into a bit of a mess.
I do NOT know the game Civilization, but I am sure it must have its own uninstaller, or at least one is available.
Which model of Dell Precision is it please.
I believe there is a laptop and a desktop.
When you say that System Restore did not work, what happened.
What System restore Points are available now and IS one A SYSTEM CHECKPOINT.

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Welcome to the Forum
You have I think, got yourself into a bit of a mess.
I do NOT know the game Civilization, but I am sure it must have its own uninstaller, or at least one is available.
Which model of Dell Precision is it please.
I believe there is a laptop and a desktop.
When you say that System Restore did not work, what happened.
What System restore Points are available now and IS one A SYSTEM CHECKPOINT.

I am answering this on my husband's behalf.

My husband has said that Civilization does not have its own uninstaller.

The model is :
Precision M50
Service Tag C09B121
Express Service Code 26137019161
Processor Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
Processor Speed 1.95 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Not sure what you mean by the 'System Restore Point'. Could you say where to look for that, please, to see if one is a system checkpoint.

When he used the System Restore, he went back about two weeks, I believe. When he says that it 'did not work' he is referring to the fact that he could not get the game to work.

Also, I turned his computer on this morning and received this message. All the tildas in the message should be at the top of the letters/numbers. I just did not know how to do that:

The system has recovered from a serious error.

A log of this error has been created.

Error signature
BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 86DDB4A0 BCP2 : 86D87600 BCP3 : F7A5ECB4
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Error Report Contents
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5909.dir00\Mini041010-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5909.dir00\sysdata.xml

Thank you.

Edited by CharlesCC, 13 April 2010 - 01:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://support.dell....mp;s=pub#Issue1

Here is the link to the Dell site for your laptop, Pls run the Dell Pre boot assessment and the Dell Diagnostics. The instructions are in the link.
These pages from Dell to NOT always go back to exactly the same as the pasted link. If for any reason you are not there. Put your own Service tag no in and go to troubleshooting, you will be back on this page.

The System Restore Point was the same as your husband has already done. Some points are created when you install a program or driver or indeed uninstall and some are System Checkpoints created automatically (in most cases) by Windows. It is always best when using System Restore, for the purpose you were to select a system checkpoint. As you click on each available date in System Restore calendar, it tells you on the right hand side, the nature of the restore point.
I suspect the problem is a file corruption of the system files.
It may be malware, but I do not think so.
Pls try the Diagnostics. They will I think still work.
If you cannot now access Windows in any mode, were it to have an XP CD I would suggest Recovery Console and chkdsk, but I do not think the XP CD was provided with your laptop, it has I think a factory condition recovery partition, most likely on F11.
If none of the above work, please post back.

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

http://support.dell....mp;s=pub#Issue1

Here is the link to the Dell site for your laptop, Pls run the Dell Pre boot assessment and the Dell Diagnostics. The instructions are in the link.
These pages from Dell to NOT always go back to exactly the same as the pasted link. If for any reason you are not there. Put your own Service tag no in and go to troubleshooting, you will be back on this page.

The System Restore Point was the same as your husband has already done. Some points are created when you install a program or driver or indeed uninstall and some are System Checkpoints created automatically (in most cases) by Windows. It is always best when using System Restore, for the purpose you were to select a system checkpoint. As you click on each available date in System Restore calendar, it tells you on the right hand side, the nature of the restore point.
I suspect the problem is a file corruption of the system files.
It may be malware, but I do not think so.
Pls try the Diagnostics. They will I think still work.
If you cannot now access Windows in any mode, were it to have an XP CD I would suggest Recovery Console and chkdsk, but I do not think the XP CD was provided with your laptop, it has I think a factory condition recovery partition, most likely on F11.
If none of the above work, please post back.

Could I ask if any of this will require access to the 'net, as my husband's computer can't access the net, only mine?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pls go to the link, print it OR keep it on your screen and follow it.

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Pls go to the link, print it OR keep it on your screen and follow it.

Hello again.

Unfortunately, when my husband hit the F12 button, there was no diagnostics option, only the following five options:

Safe Mode

Safe mode with networking

Safe mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows normally.

Also, we don’t seem to be able to assess a place on that link you provided where the Service Tag can be entered.

Thanks again for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to the link I sent you, click Product Support, Click troubleshooting - type in Service Tag.

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Go to the link I sent you, click Product Support, Click troubleshooting - type in Service Tag.

Hello again,

We ran Diagnostics, and passed numerous tests (if you would like me to post which tests, will happily do so). At the top of the screen, is the following:

Pre-boot System Assessment Build 3008
Device: Hard Drive
Test: DST Short Status Test

Despite the status of waiting completion, the Percent Complete is 100.

At this point, in the DST Short Status Test, the following message popped up:

No Diagnostic Partition Utility found. To run diagnostics, insert your Dell “Drivers and Utilities” CD, then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD. OK or Cancel

We do not have a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD

With the OK and Cancel choice, no matter which choice we make, the computer reboots and when I press F12, Diagnostics starts all over again am unable to get past this point on the diagnostics.

Thanks very much again for your help.

Charles

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your hubby also said he uninstalled Internet Lock...its a program that can block access to the internet...
who installed that program and why......
a possible workaround would be to download another browser like chrome that wasn't on the computer before and try getting on the internet with it

Advertisements

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

your hubby also said he uninstalled Internet Lock...its a program that can block access to the internet...
who installed that program and why......
a possible workaround would be to download another browser like chrome that wasn't on the computer before and try getting on the internet with it

Don't recall every installing Internet Lock; perhaps it came with the computer, but only appeared when he did all his uninstalling. As to who installed it and why, we have no idea. It never made a 'sound' before.

In reply to your second point, unfortunately, without access to anything except our dialup IP, he cannot download anything. I tried to copy Firefox from my computer to his, without success.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get someone you know that has hi-speed internet to download firefox and googles chrome for you...put them on a flash drive or cd and move them to his computer that way...

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again. This is Mary, C's wife.

I have already tried to transfer Firefox to my hubby's computer, by downloading it to my own computer (on wireless access at our local library), and transferring it on CD to his computer, installing it on his computer, but it made no difference. He can't even pull up the browser.

Possibly it is not even installed (though there is a F'fox icon on his desktop), as when I tried to pull it up a few minutes ago, there was a message from Revo to install Firefox using Revo!

It is all extremely frustrating, especially as neither my husband nor I are computer savy.

I also contacted the Internet Lock firm. They suggested downloading their program and reinstalling, not seeming to understand that the XP cannot access the net!

I hope you can help.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would also suggest using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of that Internet Lock program.

CharlesCC

CharlesCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Please tell me which of these would be better as just do not know what to do with my husband's computer. I am sorry to have to keep coming back about it! :)

1. I received a suggestion from the makers of Internet Lock at http://www.toplang.com to boot my husband's Dell XP computer into 'safe mode with networking' and then download Internet Lock. After doing that, turn on the computer normally and install Internet Lock over the 'old' one, which they say will then solve the problem. (To do this I can bring his computer to my local library where there is wireless.) I am just wondering if this suggestion will compound the problem or solve it.

2. Or is it better to go with what has been suggested here - uninstalling Internet Lock using Revo Uninstaller.

We really hope to get this sorted out. So, with hope and thanks.

Mary...on behalf of CharlesCC