Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragmenting Problems

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
rshaffer61:

I downloaded the two programs you suggested. The both cleaned out a lot that I think the other temp file and defragmenting programs must have missed. I've actually gained a little space!! (Even after installing a large game!) Thanks!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. How is the system running now?

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Do you mean with the defragmenting? My computer hasn't run completely smoothly for quite awhile. I was told this could have to do with how full it is.

But like I said, Auslogics Defrag really did a good job!!

The game I mentioned installing (a 1 GB game) was giving some trouble freezing up, but maybe our system just can't handle it, or is just too full. But an interesting thing I did notice was that at least half (maybe most) of the many defragmented files that were listed when Auslogics was done, were game files from this game, so maybe this could be the cause of the problem with the game, I don't know. I'm going to try the game again now.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please supply the following information again.

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Total: 30.6 GB

Used: 24.9 GB

Free: 5.65 GB

P.S. After using the two cleaning programs you suggested, the game stopped freezing up.

Edited by purple21, 21 April 2010 - 01:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point the only other option is replacement of the hd to gain more space. You have roughly about 18% of the hd free which isn't much.
a good size would be at least 80 to 120 gigs which should work in your system with no problems. That would give you up to 4 times the amount of space you currently have total.
I'm glad to hear the game is not freezing but with only 5.65 gigs free space be careful as one game could use up most of that if installed.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Without going back and reading the posts......
If this is a desktop it would be easier to add the drive as a slave and then move your data (and some programs) to the new drive thereby freeing up space on your original.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Those user.000 folders are created when your machine cannot login to your profile and Windows duplicates the user hive, aka the profile gets corrupted.

To see which profile is being logged in, view what user you see listed under the Processes tab in Task Manager. You can delete the other folders if they are taking up space.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
rshaffer61 and 123Runner:

I'm actually in the process of fixing up another old computer. The previous owner messed it up, but I hope I can get it going. It's a 120 GB hd, and has more hardware features than my current pc. So if I can get it going as my main computer, that'll solve my lack of hd space!!

diabillic:

The users listed in task manager are mostly "Owner" among others such as "system", etc. This would mean, then, that the other folder could be deleted, I guess.

Thanks.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

rshaffer61 and 123Runner:

I'm actually in the process of fixing up another old computer. The previous owner messed it up, but I hope I can get it going. It's a 120 GB hd, and has more hardware features than my current pc. So if I can get it going as my main computer, that'll solve my lack of hd space!!

diabillic:

The users listed in task manager are mostly "Owner" among others such as "system", etc. This would mean, then, that the other folder could be deleted, I guess.

Thanks.

Yes, the duplicate owner.000 folders can be. I would just poke around in there to make sure there is nothing in there you may have saved inadvertently and move it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are they the same brand system?
If not then you will have to copy the DATA over but programs will have to be reinstalled.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks, daibillic!

rshaffer:

With the exception of HD size and some hardware like a DVD drive and CD rewritable (on the "new" one), I think they are identical. Both are Compaq, Presario, and XP. I'm not sure what you mean by copying data. The computer was so bad the HD had to be reformatted, which someone did for me. All I had in mind to do to it is install all the programs I have on my current one to the other one, by either CD or the internet. As for files, I keep back-up copies of them on flash drives, so I could transfer my files that way. I can't do anything really major with computers, just basics, but with the help of you guys, I'm getting better!! :)
Thanks! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
installing the programs should not be a problem unless they are on a Recovery cd included with your old system.
Compaq Presario is a very wide description as there are numerous models of that type.
Transferring your data over should be no problem since you have it backed up on your flash drive.
Just let us know and we will be happy to try and help any way we can.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok. Thanks!! :) (But no, once again, no CD with the computer.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so that means the programs you are installing have their own installation disks?