Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virut related issue

• Please log in to reply

goomba

goomba

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello!

Last year, I was seriously infected with a variant of the Virut trojan.
As a result, I tried to back up all of my files to CDs, so I could keep them for later use. At the time, I did not know of Virut's reproducing capabilites: such as their ability to infect even .jpgs. Unfortunately, I recently put in CD's that I did not know were still infected with the Virut, re-infecting me.

This leads me to my question.
I have many photographs, I am an avid photgrapher. I'm assuming that many of my .jpgs have been infected. I was wondering if there was a way to preserve my images.
For example, I was thinking of uploading every image that I have to a website like imageshack.us. After doing so, I would write down the link of every image, then visit the page, and then right click save as every picture to recover it. Would the virut still be present in these files?
Essentially what I'm asking is, when I upload an image to imageshack, is any data being stored with the image, or is it just the pixels?
Would this be a reasonable solution to recover my media?

Additionally, I have an external hard drive of about 300 GB which I have a lot of personal files on (spanning mp3's, .mov, .mpg4, exe). How can I recover these files without infecting whatever computer I plug the drive in to? I could live with the loss of these files, but not the photographs.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by goomba, 11 April 2010 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My advice is to post this in the Malware Forum. There are acredited experts there who will assist you.

goomba

goomba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks! Will do.