Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USBPORT. SYS thread eating up 50% of my processing power

• Please log in to reply

pabadger

pabadger

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi,
Originally I thought I had a malware problem, so I posted there. After a week of very helpful guidance from RKinner, he said that I did not have a malware problem and should post on this forum.

My problem is that the System Process takes up 50% or so (usually a bit less) of my processing power. When I use Process Explorer I learn that the USBPORT.SYS thread is the culprit. I can suspend the thread with seemingly no loss of functionality of the usb hub that I use for the printer and other devices (although usually only the printer is plugged in).

I run a Presario SR1936X with 3 gig Pentium 4, 2 gig memory, and run Windows XP Media Center edition SP3. I got it in mid 2006.

Many months ago the USB ports slowly stopped working one by one. I finally had to get a USB card in order to be able to use the printer. Also the two times I tried to use the media card reader it didn't work either. I'm not asking that GTG help me with the USB ports or the media card reader. I'm OK with those problems. I am simply including this information in case it might be helpful.

Many thanks in advance for help on this matter.

Oh, and when I get this problem fixed I would also like some help with my start up time. I need to figure out what to boot at startup and what I don't need.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...r...240&lang=en

I notice there is a 2008 update for your computer. HP do not provide details, except to say it addresses a few minor issues. I do NOT think it will be this, but it will do no harm to have it anyway.
I have attached the link for you.
Have you checked your USB root hubs in Hardware, Device Manager.
Re Start-up - Click Start, Run type "msconfig", Startup and have a look what is there.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that it took so long to reply on my end but life got in the way.

I tried to download the driver you linked to but for some reason HP says I do not meet the requirements...I am not sure why.

As for the USB Root hubs, found them per your directions. I looked at properties and for all of them the device manager said:

"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

I did not start to troubleshoot. I did try to update the driver, windows could not find a better match.

so what now?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Pabadger

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
Check please on Hardware Resources, Forced Hardware, Conflicts/Sharing and IRQ`s Note IRQ`s for USB`s and ensure no other device is using the same. (Should be shown on sharing if it is.) Also check MEMORY and ensure OK shown on USB.
Then go to Components, check Problem Devices ( make sure again USB not listed)

Do you have front USB ports, as well as the four or so, onboard. ie: on the IO connector.
ALSO go to SETUP on post beep and check settings for USB.
HAVE YOU ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS besides the slow startup, as I am suspecting power supply/motherboard for USB voltages.
See last line of post 2. for StartUp please. When you have startup tab open on msconfig, press print screen key, on keyboard, open paint, programs accessories, click edit and paste. Startup on msconfig will appear in paint, save and attach to your reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 April 2010 - 08:21 PM.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,

Thanks for all your help so far,

I do have USB ports in the front two by themselves and one in the card reader.

I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of the system information so have copied and pasted what was there when I checked Forced Hardware, Conflicts/Sharing, ans IRQs. They are below

Hardware Resources
Forced Hardware
none

Conflicts/Sharing
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VisionTek Radeon X1300

Memory Address 0x0000-0x0FFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0x0000-0x0FFF System board

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF VisionTek Radeon X1300

IRQ 18 VisionTek Radeon X1300
IRQ 18 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 18 Creative SB Audigy 4 (WDM)

IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VisionTek Radeon X1300

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VisionTek Radeon X1300

IRQs
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Enhanced Mulmedia PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint) OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 17 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 VisionTek Radeon X1300 OK
IRQ 18 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 Creative SB Audigy 4 (WDM) OK
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC OK
IRQ 22 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 23 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK

What does go to setup on post beep mean?

The only other symptom I have is that sometimes when the computer is asleep, I can get the computer to wake up, but the monitor stays asleep (orange light by the on/off, not green). So I have to reboot. The keyboard locks up when this happens.

I was not successful attaching the screenshot you requested. While writing my reply, I browsed, found the file, and hit upload. I did this three times. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again for all you help,

Pabadger

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you first switch on and usually on the screen you will see "Press ? to Enter Setup. ? is normally F2 or DELete. It is NOT always one of those keys.
If you then do that, by lightly tapping the key, you only have a second or so, you will then enter the BIOS setup. Using your keyboard, right arrow go across until you come to the screen showing Devices and Enable Onboard USB or words to that effect, it will be with enable Onboard Lan and most likely Sound.
Check that Onboard USB is enabled. If you scroll down to that entry and press ENTER you will have the options.
I think you are going to find it is.
BE CAREFUL - do not change anything you do not understand. Depending on the motherboard and chipsets there may be other options.
As you then go across to EXIT on the right arrow, you will most likely see F10 for Save changes and exit.
You may also see LOAD DEFAULTS or LOAD BEST PERFORMANCE. Do not select these at this time.
We can always go back if we need to.
Even if this proves to be of no actual benefit to the problem, it is always good to know how to enter setup.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please see this and try Method 2. Clean Boot.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310353

That is why I wanted msconfig details to see what was running on start up.
Please try and see if problem still exists.
I am signing off back about 1900hrs. UK time.

In the meantime I was gradually wokring my way through this with you but have a look and I will pick up any post from you when I come back. PLEASE do NOT do anything you are uncertain of. If you are going to make any changes please create a restore point first
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 April 2010 - 05:29 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Disable your USB ports 1 by 1. I've seen this before, turned out to be a malfunctioning USB port.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,

Just dropping a note to say that things are really hectic here on my end. I should be able to go through your last suggestions by Thursday night my time (Harrisburg PA, EST US).

Thanks again for all your help,

Pabadger

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,
I am checking the USB ports post beep tonight. I will work on going down the other suggestions in the near future.

A friend of mine who works in IT support said he thought it was likely a hardware problem and suggested that I disable the usb ports one at a time. What do you think?

Pabadger

Advertisements

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,
I went into the BIOS. The only thing that referenced USB ports was "USB Legacy Support." That was on AUTO. Should I leave it on AUTO?

Pabadger

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
A friend of mine who works in IT support said he thought it was likely a hardware problem and suggested that I disable the usb ports one at a time. What do you think?

I thought you had done that it was suggested in post 8 by diabillic

The answer to the other question - leave on auto - YES

PLEASE try the suggestion in Post 7 - the clean boot.
If this solves the USB problem, follow the advice through to see which Service then causes the problem when enabled.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 April 2010 - 07:28 AM.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,

No, I had not disabled the USB ports one by one, but I will to see what happens, and then I will try the clean boot option.

Thanks again for your help,

Pabadger

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,
I disabled the USB ports one by one. No change in my symptoms. I will try a clean boot later tonight or Sunday.

Pabadger

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,

I did a clean boot, method 2, steps 1-3. When I did the clean boot steps 1-3, I ran process explorer to see if my computer still had the same symptom. It did.

I did not perform step 4 "Optional Step to Disable Features" as it said it would remove all previous restore points and that made me a bit nervous. Should I so so and what should I do once there?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Pabadger