Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HElP PLZ!

• Please log in to reply

xpnoob

xpnoob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Guys plz help. All my icons on my computer end in .Lnk and when ever i try to open them it asks me what i want to open the program with. The olny thing that works on my comp is da internet.Plz help and make the help simple since im not that good with programming and computers in general. Plus im olny 16 :tazz:

Advertisements

moonwitch

moonwitch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't tell you how to solve it, but I can perhaps try to made you understand it.

.lnk is basically a link. The easiest example is the icon "My Documents" , this folder is not really located on your screen, it just appears that way thanks to the .lnk graphic. In truth your Documents folder is located (standard setup) C:/Documents and Settings/user_name/My Documents/

(I may have put the slashes - / - wrong, if so forgive me)

Have you tried to reboot? Perhaps the issue is your desktop needing a refresh :tazz:

An admin/moderator will have to confirm or tell me to hush (sorry... I figured I'd try to contribute something as well), but I believe somehow your shortcuts got messed up. Is it the same when you go to Start - Programs - and click on something?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
So if I understand you correctly, the shortcut icon on your desktop, which usually dispays a path name and ends in .exe when you right click on properties now displays the path name with .lnk ?? For example, quicktime icon on my desktop shows
"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe" when I right click and select properties. This is what it should display, not "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.lnk"

Did you download some software recently that may have caused this change? Have you tried system restore? Have you checked for malware?