Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

junction question moving documents and settings

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i heard that moving documents and settings to another partition was usually a pain in the [bleep] but i was wondering if i can cheat using a second computer. my idea was to take the harddrive in question out of the computer and mount it on my other machine. at that point i would move documents and settings from c to e. after this is done i would use linkd.exe to create an ntfsjunction from c:documents and settings to e:documents and settings. would this work or would windows freak out and die on me. my biggest concern is if somthing tries to read or write C:documents and settings\username\my documents would it automatically go to E:documents and settings\username\my documents or will it just fail i am not sure how deep a junction will work or even if xp knows what to do with them.

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 April 2010 - 08:46 PM.

Advertisements

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i actually answered my own question you can eaisly move documents and settings to another partition after windows is installed. but you need either a second computer or bartpe to do it and you need linkd.exe from the server 2003 resource kit

Edited by mikeloeven, 13 April 2010 - 09:59 PM.