Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP installation problems

• Please log in to reply

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i just ordered a bunch of parts from tigerdirect and i put together a good rig. I'm sure i got all the configurations right because i've done it before. so i start it up expecting bios and i get an error. sumthing like a bios checksum error. so i restart and it goes through bios recognizes the hard drive goes real fast to the boot frm cd hit any key screen. i hit a key and it starts loading windows and freezes everytime.
I have tried as many hardware configurations as i could think of. None get through to windows installation.

Pleez help i need to get this computer running soon.
the parts are in the computer info

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It might help if you tell us the type of motherboard you have. But take a look at this site. It should walk you through the diangostics helping you determine the problem.

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanx for the fast reply
sry bout that i'm used to the overclockers fourms where the show your comp stats in ur posts
its in my profile i guess
but anyways itz a chaintech

zerksies

zerksies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i think you might have a problem with incompatable ram. i had the exact same problem i put in new ram and the problem went away

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i'll try it but i don't kno i bought a bundle off tigerdirect soo it should be compatable

thanx for the reples keep em comming

Dave_sc

Dave_sc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If your board got a static charge, but is not fried. Try and set the jumper to clear the CMOS. That may do the trick. Note: If it does get you to the bios, you will have to set the date & time. LAter
Dave

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

i get an error. sumthing like a bios checksum error. so i restart and it goes through bios

Ok, so we know you can get into Your BIOS if you want to and I'd suggest that's where you should start. As zerksies referenced this sounds like a memory problem although I'm not so sure it should be termed "incompatable" at this point in time. Hopefully you boned up on that link greyknight17 posted too.

You might want to try setting things to a default setup in your BIOS to get you started and your memory can be set to "auto detect" or "by speed". If you do this, your board should give you a fairly conservative set of memory timings permitting you to get beyond this freeze. You can always come back and do some fine tuning and speed related tweaking later but lets get this puppy running first. Make sure that both your memory and video card are firmly seated and check all your cabling as a precaution. I think you're good there but ..... it isn't going to hurt anything to make sure.

Let us know if this gives you enough stability to keep running.

Regards,
:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you using a SATA hard drive? if so, you need to load the drivers for that during the windows load.

if not, you said windows freezes during the load- what happens? any specific errors, or does it hang, etc.

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
great replies
i changed the ram and the slot of the ram and i finally got past the bios to start loading windows it's formatting now
the combiation of alll replies helped a lot
i owe u guys one

peace

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i'm not using SATA