Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello everybody, I'm having the following issue with my PC.

I was using Revo uninstaller to uninstall O&O Defrag 10 from my PC as I had recently installed O&O Defrag 11. Upon rebooting my PC I received the following messages:

The archive for Iobit 360 appears to be corrupt.

Problem with corrupt file in Windows use check disc.

One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

My system was unstable, I rebooted several times and noticed that my internet connection was lost.

I tried safe mode with networking but was unable to get online. The system continued to be unstable. After some thought I figured I might as well attempt to recover my OS from the hard drive. First I unsuccessfully tried to use System Restore in regular mode, but was unable to use it. I tried in safe mode, and after a few attempts was able to restore my system to the day before, however, my PC remained unstable.

Upon attempting a reinstall I received this message: NTLDR is missing. Problems extracting NET Framework.

During the attempt to recover my OS from the hard drive system recovery partition I kept getting this message: Problems extracting files. I then tried to recover the OS from a set of full recovery discs I had made. I still kept getting the message: Problems extracting files. The first recovery CD was ejected and my system shut down.

Upon restarting the system it looked as if everything was working right, then I got this message:

Isass.exe System error. An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

I'm unable to progress past this point.

The system will start, and I will get a blue screen for chkdsk (I think) then I will get the above message Isass.exe and my screen freezes.

I'm at the limits of my sparse knowledge, and am requesting any help or advice that will get me back up and running.

I want to thank everybody in advance for your time on my behalf.

I await your advice.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Enrico_49 ... :) ..:)

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Edited by happyrock, 12 April 2010 - 07:01 AM.

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
happyrock: Thank you for your help.

I followed your directions and made the recovery cd.

However, I'm having the following problem.

The PC is booting from the CD. I get a blue screen: Windows Setup. With a white boarder on the bottom stating the the setup is loading.

This takes me to another blue screen stating: Windows XP Professional welcome to setup.

I then press r and a black screen appears with the following information:

Microsoft XP Recovery Console

The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart the computer.

1: H:\MiniNT

2: C:\PRDSMING

3: C:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto.

To cancel, press ENTER>?

This is as far as I('m able to get.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help so far.

I await your reply.

Enrico

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press 3 for 3: C:\WINDOWS...when it asks for a password just press enter...

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
happyrock: Followed your instructions, but it looks like I'm stiil stuck.

Heres what I did: Pressed 3 for C:\WINDOWS.

Pressed enter: Type in the Administrator password.

Pressed enter: and C:\Windows shows up but nothing else happens.

Is there something I'm missing. I fell so close, yet so far away.

Thank you for your time thus far.

I await your reply.

Thank you, Enrico

happyrock: Stupid me, looks like I've got it now.

I finally realized that I needed to enter chkdsk /r

It seems like it's working now.

Thanks for all of your help.

I'll keep you posted.

Enrico

Edited by Enrico_49, 12 April 2010 - 08:25 PM.

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
happyrock: I left the PC on since last night (about 6 hours) It looks like it only made one pass. It said it had repaired a bad sector and stayed at C:\WINDOWS without doing anything further. It didn't reboot.

I entered exit and I'm going to try it again.

Please advise if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Thank for all your help so far.

Enrico

Edited by Enrico_49, 13 April 2010 - 05:29 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
keep running chkdsk /r until it no longer finds or fixes any errors then try to boot normally

Edited by happyrock, 13 April 2010 - 06:32 AM.

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ran it again, let it stay on for several hours. Again, it made only one pass, the same exact one it made the first time.

I exited the program, removed the disk, set the BIOS back to normal and rebooted.

I'm still right back from where I started.

Isass.exe - System Error

An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

The recovery CD seems to work for one pass, as you said, going back and forth till it reaches 100. Then it shows C:\WINDOWS> and does nothing further.

Is there anything else I could try?

Again, thank you for your personal time on my behalf.

Edited by Enrico_49, 13 April 2010 - 03:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My OS is XP Pro Media Center edition.

I don't know anyone who has a CD with this exact program on it. Unfortunately most of the people I know who own a PC have their OS on a recovery partition.

Is there anyway I can use the set of full recovery CD's I made from my hard drive to recover my system, even if I have to loose all my files?

Is there anyway to get a copy that will work off the internet Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition (2600 build)?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Is there anyway I can use the set of full recovery CD's I made from my hard drive to recover my system

yep...try them

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I might have some good news.

I just realized I had made a copy of my hard drive with Paragon drive backup 9.0

However, I'm not sure how to use it.

I booted from the CD and a screen stating : Paragon drive backup 9.0 with the following choices.

Normal mode

Safe mode

Low Graphics mode

Hard disk 0 MBR

Find OSes on your hard disks

without choosing it automatically started in normal mode.

A second screen with the following choices appeared

/ (root dir)

/ my computer

/mmt/disk (local disks)

CD/DVD

C:\NFTS 1 on disk 0 (local disk)

D:\FAT32 0 on disk 0 (recovery)

I have one Paragon recovery CD that I made on 02-06-10 and 4 hard disk backup disks made on 02-07-10.

Both disks display the same choices I listed above.

Shouldn't I be able to recover my system (at least from 02-07-10) from these disks.

I don't know which choices to make so I shut the PC off without doing anything.

If you are familiar with this program maybe you could advise me at to how to proceed in the safest manner.

Again, that you for your time on my behalf.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Shouldn't I be able to recover my system (at least from 02-07-10) from these disks.

try it first...if it fails try the older one

Enrico_49

Enrico_49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for your assistance on my behalf.

I'm not sure if you read my entire last reply to you. However, what I was asking is if you knew how to proceed with the recovery DVD or the 4 Hard drive backup DVD's.

I don't know how to proceed. There are choices that might make recovering my hard impossible if I make the wrong selection.

In my last reply to you I listed the choices.

I would ask you or anyone else on the forum if they know how I should proceed. The directions I'm able to access from Paragon are essentially useless.

I posted to a Paragon forum, but, as of yet have received no reply.

I will continue to search the internets for some instructions that I can actually understand and use.

Again, thank for all your efforts on my behalf.

Edited by Enrico_49, 14 April 2010 - 06:18 PM.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, you could try..you tube...there are some tutorials but not sure if any suit your problem or you could if you have not already try ..paragon contact/support..........

http://www.paragon-s...com/contact.htm