Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access wireless router setup anymore

• Please log in to reply

Rhynn

Rhynn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

For some reason I can't access the setup page of my wireless router anymore. It's a linksys by cisco wag120n (I think, not 100% sure of this). I used to be able to get there just fine using http://192.168.1.1. I don't even get the login box, I just get "Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.1.1/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding." (I'm using a mac and safari, though I have also tried connecting with Firefox). I've tried every variation of the IP I could find on the internet, tried every way of resetting I could find, but it doesn't work. I do have normal internet connection on my desktop (imac with OS X Leopard) which is connected to the router with a cable, but because all the resetting did at least work partly I don't have wireless internet anymore on my laptop (OS X Snow Leopard; I tried all this a few weeks ago as well, but resetting then kept all my settings and I just let it be for the moment).

It's really frustrating, at the moment I have MAC address filtering on and since I can't access the setup page, I can't add any trusted addresses.

Thanks very much in advance, I really hope you can help me out :)

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
In the Mac terminal, note the default gateway IP address using 'netstat -nr'. Try this IP rather than the default 192.168.1.1.

OR

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

2. In System Preferences, from the View menu, select Network.

3. Select the appropriate port. For example, choose Ethernet for broadband connections, AirPort for wireless, or Internal Modem for dial-up.

4. Click Advanced... , and in the sheet that opens, click the TCP/IP tab. The number next to "Router:" is your default gateway.
(from http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajfx.html)

Also, clear the cache and cookies in your browser.

Rhynn

Rhynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hrmm, with that address I get the "Safari can't open this page blah blah blah" immediately, it doesn't even try to load. Even after clearing the cache and cookies. Same with Firefox, with 192.168.1.1 and the other address (145.118.116.1), also after clearing cache and cookies :)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
A hard reset should clear all of your problems.

With power applied to the unit, press the red reset button on the back right side with a pin for not less than 7 sec. Release it. Wait a minute or two then try 192.168.1.1 again.

Rhynn

Rhynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Same results, I'm afraid. After the hard reset I tried 192.168.1.1 again in both safari and firefox, didn't work. Tried emptying cache and cookies again (just to be sure) but it didn't change anything. Then I tried the other IP too, in safari and firefox, but yet again it didn't work.

I'm getting the urge to throw the router out the window, it just keeps defying me xD

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I do not understand how a hard reset would not allow you to reach the config page of the router on a wired computer. Can you replace the WAG120N?

Reset the router once again. with a single Mac connected to it via ethernet. Once reset, create a new 'Location' as in the link below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

Do your xDSL connection employ PPPoE, which requires a username and password?

Rhynn

Rhynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I reset the router and created a new location following the steps from the link. Still no luck, not even with everything you said before.

I also borrowed my boyfriend's windows XP laptop and tried everything again (except the new location, of course) but yet again, the exact same results.

I really don't understand why the resetting doesn't help any... I think I'll just have to put up with this until I have the money to replace the wag120n :)

I'm not sure about the PPPoE thing. I do remember coming across it when I set up the internet connection when I started living here, but I don't really remember having to enter a username or password...

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi I am sorry to bud in but....

Try this, I am sure you over looked something (it happens to me all the time with this stuff)

Check list:
1. Is your router connected to the modem?

2.Is your modem having all the up/down load connections?

3. Can you connect your mac to a ethernet port?

4. In System Pre fences> Network check your "Ethernet" is the light Green(connected)?

5. Did you turn off your wireless?

6. Can you access the Ip address in the Address bar?

7. Type your correct Ip address of your router.

8. If it is hard-wire you can connect to the router via ethernet.

9. You can also use the cd's or you can go to there web-page on another network and download and install there set-up wizard (all do it will ask you for a Admin. password if you set one up).

10. I hope this help, Im just trying to help, I have delt with this but take your time and make sure everything is set-up right.

Let us know how it went.

Rhynn

Rhynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My father had time to help me today and after a lot of trying, we managed to get everything working again :) I'm not completely sure what the exact problem was, but I'm happy that it's solved now :)

Now if only my wii wouldn't keep giving me an error when I try to connect... but that's something I'm going to play around with some more :)

Thank you very much for helping me figure out the problem!