Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM Thinkpad keeps switching itself off

• Please log in to reply

M-AN

M-AN

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My daughter has an IBM Thinkpad which keeps switching itself off. It gives a warning then just closes down in the middle of her work. Suggestions? Please!

Many thanks
Mary-Ann

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
All laptops will automatically turn themselves off when the battery is almost fully discharged. All you need to do is plug in the mains adapter to charge the battery again.

If charging the battery makes no difference and the laptop still keeps switching itself off when the mains power is not connected to it, it probably means the battery has reached the end of it's life and needs replacing.

If the laptop keeps shutting down even when the mains adapter is connected to it, then the mains adapter could be faulty and needs replacing.

M-AN

M-AN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for this, I covered much the same with my daughter. I have recently replaced the charger, and it had been working perfectly with the new charger for a month before this started. Would you have any other suggestions?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, what model is is.

will it reboot after shut down.

M-AN

M-AN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope I have written all the information Type 2669 E65 There was also Lenvo written on the back if that is relevant. Yes it does re boot, but now at the stage of only being up for about 10 minutes. I bought it second hand for A level work.

Best wishes
MA

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
after shut down can you reboot straight away.

does it seem to overheat

M-AN

M-AN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes will reboot straight away and does not appear to be overheating

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
as no apparent overheating follow steps in this link and see what charge state for batt.

http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4YQJZV

if batt. is low plug in mains adapter and let batt. recharge, if batt. recharges this will show that the mains adapter is prob. ok.

this link has support info. for your thinkpad.

http://www-307.ibm.c...thEntry=2669E65

apart from mains/batt. problem i'm not sure what the fault is. Any try this and let us know the result. :)

M-AN

M-AN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much. I will give this a try and let you know. Really appreciate your time thank you