Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain's Vs Workgroups

• Please log in to reply

TrustAMIT

TrustAMIT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've recently took over IT at the radio station, and am needing to make improvements to certain places where i see a problem

Previously we've ran ESET smart Sec v4 without problems, however due to people bringing in USB sticks etc i've been tasked in securing our systems without interfearing with the membership.

I've heard about 'domains', i know we have a workgroup in place as we use XP home and XP pro on these systems, i am in the process of trying to set up a domain - and to be brutally honest am well out of my depth as i am hardware trained not software.

I have my 2 personal systems running ESET 4.2 and have them both on Xp Pro sp3 and in a workgroup - this works fine but when i upgraded the systems at the station to 4.2 (as i was told to do) all [bleep] broke loose, shared network resources wouldn't work, printers etc.

I have a option to format and reinstall all the systems up there if needed but as we have 10+ running you can see that this is going to be a major undertaking

These 10 computers are on the net 24/7 and in a workgroup. Being a charity they were built from companies that build Home PC's, they are not designed as to be server machines - we have one called 'server' that runs the record library and a british hits database and printers

I am wanting to make this as secure as possible but how easy is it to do??? and more importantly how much brain ache am i giving myself?

(sorry for the language - i assume a mod/admin has edited)

Edited by TrustAMIT, 13 April 2010 - 01:50 AM.

Advertisements