Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop crashed and now stuck in a loop

• Please log in to reply

Bluetiger42

Bluetiger42

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I was trying to use partition magic and it crashed mid way and now it goes in a loop and it won't let me load anything, safe mode etc. It just starts again.

It's my brothers laptop and I don't really know the specs except its XP Toshiba and only about 40G memory.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Edited by Bluetiger42, 12 April 2010 - 07:40 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Toshiba laptops (and many others) have a hard drive with a recovery partition.
However, this will delete all your personal data and recover the laptop to the condition it was in when sold.
It is TOO late now, but before attempting the use of Partition Magic, very good advice would have been to BACK UP all.
Pls post details of the Toshiba from the base information stickers. ie; Model, model number and service number.

Bluetiger42

Bluetiger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

However, this will delete all your personal data and recover the laptop to the condition it was in when sold.
It is TOO late now, but before attempting the use of Partition Magic, very good advice would have been to BACK UP all.
Pls post details of the Toshiba from the base information stickers. ie; Model, model number and service number.

Wiping the computer was my intention anyway. I just wanted to put a partition in before I did. Luckily I had moved everything that was to be kept onto a memory stick prior to the partition.

My brother was given this laptop free and it has lots of programs on it and I thought it would be best to format the drive (which I have done to my own a few times), set-up a partition for his docs and then he could use it without getting in to trouble. So I have a lot of egg on my face given that i've now done this to it!!

I will send another post when I get home from work later with the specifics requested.

Thanks,

Sarah

Bluetiger42

Bluetiger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The label on the bottom of the laptop says:

TOSHIBA
EA60-155 EN
Model no. PSA67E-00300C8J

6.3A DC19v
CD 335/256/40G42/15XT/DS/LM

Then the serial number which I assume you don't need?!

I can't see anything that says service number so unless it is one of the above you'll have to tell me what i'm looking for!

Thank you for your help,

Sarah

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here is the link to the Toshiba site.
For the user manual in case you have not got it.
If there is definitely nothing you need I would just format it and start again, it is the quickest, easiest and possibly the best (now) solution.
If you want to look at the link
http://uk.computers....ervice=UK#tab4;
Toshiba laptops have a recovery partition usually but NOT always Fn + F11 or Ctrl + F11 etc. It will be in the manual of course. They also have diagnostics built in. This will probably be another key combination.
If you cannot now get to either of those, I would go to BIOS most likely, but not always F2 on first post beep, commission to boot to CD and then if you have one use the XP or whatever you are going to put on it to install.
If that is a problem you can boot with this and use the HDD format and partition as you wish, then install.
http://www.hirensboo...t/download.html
Good luck pls come back if you have queries. (Be careful with the last link, if you use it elsewhere, it has very powerful tools on.)

Bluetiger42

Bluetiger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Here is the link to the Toshiba site.
For the user manual in case you have not got it.
If there is definitely nothing you need I would just format it and start again, it is the quickest, easiest and possibly the best (now) solution.
If you want to look at the link
http://uk.computers....ervice=UK#tab4;
Toshiba laptops have a recovery partition usually but NOT always Fn + F11 or Ctrl + F11 etc. It will be in the manual of course. They also have diagnostics built in. This will probably be another key combination.
If you cannot now get to either of those, I would go to BIOS most likely, but not always F2 on first post beep, commission to boot to CD and then if you have one use the XP or whatever you are going to put on it to install.
If that is a problem you can boot with this and use the HDD format and partition as you wish, then install.
http://www.hirensboo...t/download.html
Good luck pls come back if you have queries. (Be careful with the last link, if you use it elsewhere, it has very powerful tools on.)

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I didn't have a manual to go with it and even though they can be a mission to get through they do come in handy when there's a problem! I've downloaded the manual and last night I did the F12 part of it and it is now out of the boot loop but it doesn't look quite right graphics wise. I'll have another play tonight and if I have any troubles i'll get back in touch.

Thank you for your help with this,

Sarah

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Start, My Computer, Right Click then Click Properties, then on Hardware Tab, Device Manager and see if the Display Adaptor has any warning mark, probably yellow.
Maybe the grpahics need an up to date driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 April 2010 - 05:09 PM.