Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Importing DBX files into windows 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

clixto

clixto

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
HI there, I backed up my OE messages and addresses onto a CD. I did a clean install of windows 7 from XP. I didn't know I would lose OE after installing 7. I decided to use Mozilla Thunderbird as an alternate. I was able to transfer the emails but not the dbx files. Kinda stuck here.

thx in advance

Edited by clixto, 12 April 2010 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The emails are in the dbx folders, so I am confused. Did you use the import function? What made you decide not to use Windows Mail (Outlook Express' replacement) and choose another client? (only curious) Did you get your address book restored?
Johanna

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I have Vcard files (.vcf) and dbx files (says under properties that it opens with Windows Shell Common Dll??) saved to a cd. It doesn't matter to me which email service I use as long as I can access these files. I wasn't sure how to import into windows live so I used thunderbird. I was only able to import some of the emails. I'm not sure how to open the .vcf and dbx files so I can see them.

Edited by clixto, 12 April 2010 - 11:19 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try thishere...Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express...when you get to the part that says
Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory is selected, and then click OK.

Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer...(look on your cd) and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)
Click Select Folder, and then click Next.

Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.

Click Finish.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
There is no OE on windows 7

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Windows Mail can convert your dbx files. Windows Mail is the replacement for OE in Vista and Win7. You can Google for software that will let you read old dbx files, but I don't know any reliable free programs.
Johanna

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
How does windows live convert? I couldn't find how this works. When Installed windows I didn't get any message for transferring files. Would I be able to take the cd and transfer them on someone elses comp who has OE?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
aahhh! I figured it out. I finally found a web page that tells you how. Here is the link if you wanna post it somewhere for others. Thanks again for your help.

http://help.live.com...a...ype=&query=

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
that wasn't a direct link to the instructions. Import e-mail messages from other e-mail programs
You can import e-mail messages from other e-mail programs on your computer such as Microsoft Outlook Express so that you can view them from within Mail.

Start Mail.

Show me how

In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Programs.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click Start, and then click All Programs.
2. Click Windows Live, and then click Windows Live Mail.
2. If you can't see the menu bar, in the upper-right corner of the screen, click the Menus button Menus, and then click Show menu bar.
3. On the menu bar, click the File menu, and then point to Import.
4. Click Messages.
5. Select the e-mail program from which you want to import e-mail messages, and then click Next.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

The imported messages appear in the folder pane (The left pane in the Windows Live Mail window, which contains the folder structure for all the e-mail accounts, newsgroup accounts, or RSS feeds that you've added. The folder pane also shows your Outbox and any offline storage folders on your computer's hard disk.) , under Storage folders.

Note

If you're unsure which e-mail program and version you want to import messages from, see the e-mail program's Help documentation.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
no worries :))