Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Vista

• Please log in to reply

Jeff_937

Jeff_937

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First off, I've been working on computers for several years now and I recently had issues with my system running slow with a version of XP that had been modified from the source I got it from. I am now trying to install Vista on that deleted/formatted HDD. I first went to install Vista and it said something along the lines that the system volume could not be found and stopped the install process. The next day I went to install Vista again, thinking that I would try a couple things differently, and after the Vista disk loaded the files it just stopped the entire install process all together. It didn't even let me enter the passcode before freezing up. I'm curious if it's more of a hardware issue and not the OS? I am also hearing a different than normal vibrating noise within the system. It's kinda hard to tell where the noise is coming from due to the fans running. The HDD are less than 2 years old and made by Seagate so I didn't think they were making the noise. The MB is barely over a year old and seems to be working properly. That leaves maybe the processor, Which is a Pentium D and about 5 years old and has been moved from several different MB's over the years. I also didn't know if the RAM could be going out either. It is made by Transcend, which is not the best MFG of RAM. If anybody can help please let me know of any solutions to my problem.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I am also hearing a different than normal vibrating noise within the system

You can investigate it better, using a chopstick. Put one end to your ear and the other end to any component, you want to test, like a hard drive.
I'd test hard drive anyway.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...opic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Jeff_937

Jeff_937

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will the diagnostics check work even though the hard drive is formatted with nothing on it?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yes.