Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer keeps freezing up

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :)

Advertisements

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The test has finished and my HD passed. What would be the next option?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great job running the test and getting the results back asap. Now let's work on the memory.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Am I running this test for each stick then or am I just seeing if my comp will boot with a different stick each time?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The instructions are designed so that if you have multiple modules you can take a module out and then boot the system. This will test to see if the system will run correctly on one stick without problems. If it does then take out the one and replace it with the other and try again. If both sticks work correctly then put both in and run the memtest86 program on both sticks. If still nothing shows up then we move on to software deeper as the issue.
I suggest trying each stick of memory by itself and running the system. It will be slower but the point is to see if one stick is working by itself and no issues. Then if other causes the issue it may point to a faulty memory module.

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
If I have bad RAM what will happen? Will I still get a picture? If so, then I need a new gfx card since I have no picture

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How can you have no picture but can run the tests?

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I took sticks out and tried one. It worked. I put the next one in and it looked like my computer was frozen. No loading it seemed. Its probably my motherboard now. I had no pic so I switched out gfx cards. Nothing. I put my ram that worked back in and nothing

Edited by captainmac1313, 14 April 2010 - 07:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So both sticks the system boots?
One stick you get nothing?
Are you getting any post screens at all?

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm getting no boot with anything. It turns on but my monitor gets no signal and my boot light doesn't blink like its loading. Its just on and

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I don't know what happened because it was booting up to post 20 and now nothing..
Are yu getting any type of beeps when it starts or nothing at all?

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't get it either. When I tested the 1st stick of ram, it worked. I powered down and tried the next. That's when this stuff started to happen. I didn't get a picture so I figured it didn't work. I tried the next one, same thing. Then I put the first back in because that one worked but it didn't work this time. In getting no beeps. My computer powers on. It sounds and looks like everything is working but I get no picture and it doesn't look like its booting. Maybe its not reading the HD but that tested fine. If it was a bad HD, would the HD work in an enclosure?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't think the issue is the hd but it is strange that the memory worked before and now it is not. It could be failing memory or a problem with motherboard. Have you tried putting all the memory back in and rebooting?
Does system now boot up again?
How many modules do you have and are they back n their original slots?

captainmac1313

captainmac1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have 3 sticks of RAM. After all of them wouldn't work on their own, I put all 3 back the way I had them in when the computer worked and the same problem was happening. It wouldn't boot up or give me a picture on my monitor. I will get a new stick of RAM and try that. I'm thinking the motherboard gave out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree with your synopsis at this point.
If you start the system is the fan on the cpu turning or does it start and then stop right away?