Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed with USB hard drive please

• Please log in to reply

digitalmunky

digitalmunky

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi everyone

I have been trying to solve a problem with my Verbatim USB drive for about a month now and have been trying to solve the issue myself

So I gave up today and called Verbatim support who quickly sent me the solution by mail (they said this is an issue present in windows 7)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your phone call. Your reference number is HMA100412-026.
Please quote this reference on all future correspondence with us.

Windows 7 uses its own built-in drivers
and it manages the installation of external USB devices by it's own.

Please verify that you are logged as an administrator on your laptop/computer.

Please disconnect all external devices from your computer (except mouse, monitor and keyboard) and go to c:\windows\system32\drivestore.
Please rename “infcache1” to “infcache.1OLD”.

You might need to give the user account file write and read permissions for this file. You can change this settings via the file's Properties/Security/Advanced.

Now reboot your computer (with still no USB device connected) and connect the HDD as the only USB device to an USB port on the back of your computer if WINDOWS has started.

Best Regards,
Verbatim Euro Support
Dutec Limited
Company Registered in Ireland No: 307480

Ok, very nice I hear you say However my issue now is that I can not the name of the infcache file as per instructions. I have been playing with ownership of the file in accordance with windows inbuilt help but no luck. Please see (capture 1) for current owners.

My problem is (and this probably sounds daft) but who should I give ownership to from this long list of possabilities, please see (capture 2) I am the owner and only user of my pc and yet I dont know who to give permission to

Hope you can help

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG
  • Capture2.JPG

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't even know how to mess with all that. :) Try this...

http://www.howtogeek...-menu-in-vista/

Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows 7 or Vista is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps.

Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for “Take Ownership” that will handle all the steps for you.

Here’s what the new right-click menu will look like after installing this registry hack.

Posted Image

Try that out and let me know how it goes. :)