Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start up

• Please log in to reply

jingle

jingle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi , I just helped a friend of mine build a computer , and when he goes to turn it on , the LEDs he has in the side flash , and the fan turns on for a instant but then it doesnt do anything . Also the little orange power indicator on the motherboard turns on too , but the computer just wont boot up . Its a fairly new computer as far as the parts in it with a p4 3200 processor , 1gig DDR2 , PCI express geforce 6600 and sata if that helps , I can get the brands/models if its needed/relevant also . Thanks , and any help would be greatly appreciated .

Advertisements

Stackage

Stackage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm having the almost same problem right now with the computer i just built i think the LED's are not in the right spots or something... I also am using a 20 pin power supply with a 24 pin slot on my mother board...that might be whats causing my problem i'm about to go buy a new PSU... i hope i dont have to do that tonight though...

jingle

jingle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I also am using a 20 pin power supply with a 24 pin slot on my mother board

hmm same here , lemme know if that fixes it ! It says that 20 pin PS should be ok but I guess you never know . Im pretty sure we have the LEDs and stuff hokked up right though , actually got it to boot up a couple times but it seems that one time it will boot then afterwards it wont do anything ... =/ .

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I had to replace my motherboard...

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Here is some info on 20v 24 pin power supply connection to a mobo.

this is intel specific, I dont know if AMD is the same way...

thanx to miles obrien for posting that link in another thread!

Stackage

Stackage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok so it can work, but then something else is the problem??? what could it be??

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
does your mobo have a place to plug in a 4 pin drive power connector? these newer 24 pin mobos seem to need the additional power.

stackage, do you have the manual for your mobo? that will tell you if you have the case jumpers plugged in correctly. if you dont have it, download it from the manufacturers website.

also, what is the wattage of your power supplies? also list brand, if you can find it. its possible your underpowering the system...check the other things first.

Stackage

Stackage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It has the xtra four pin connector but that is for near the processor, i used the screw driver method and got the computer to start so maybe the LED cables are bad... but now the key board is not staying on the lights flash on it then it doesnt work... ugh! lol thanks so much for helping...

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

does your mobo have a place to plug in a 4 pin drive power connector

this is refering to the atx power input needed for pentium 4 model cpu. this will be located right below the cpu socket. my comp does the same flashy led thing when i flip the power swich in the back, but it wont start up fully untill i press the power button on teh front. see this post...it might address your problem... the psu.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
a good point, yes, you need the 4 pin (2 yellow wires, 2 black wires, square shape) power connector for the CPU.
In this case, I was referring to the 4 pin power connector that drives use. from the diagram in that link, it seems these newer 24 pin mobo connectors are used to deliver more juice to the board. im really gonna hafta go read up on that more- but not tonite!

Stackage

Stackage

• Pip
  • 9 posts
yep nixx, thats on there are plugged in but now the problem lies in the keyboard? what could be going wrong with the keyboard in this situation? Its not being detected or somethign the lights on it turn on then off agian...and theres nothing

Edited by Stackage, 20 May 2005 - 11:10 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
take a look at this thread as it might be the g-card thats creating problems.

Nixx