Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running/freezing

• Please log in to reply

Tgray77

Tgray77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Windows XP and it has been running great for over a year now, but recently it has been bugging out on most applications such as running most of them "shakily" or not smoothly and freezing up frequently or taking several minutes to even open a simple program or folder. I ran a series of anit-virus/trojan/spyware software that seemed to clear it up for a bit. Now my problems are different. The computer can handle games with ease (even those whose system specs it doesn't quite meet) or other RAM intensive programs. The internet seems to be running at an acceptable level of speed most of the time and I can transfer and copy files quickly. However, it seems not to be able to perform the most simple of computing tasks. For example, the screen saver sometimes freezes the whole computer, requiring a reboot, I have a difficult time even opening the screen saver options menu at any period of my computer's "workingness." Some days, no program seems to run right, some days they run fine except for the few I've been mentioning. But the most significant problem I'm encountering is that it cannot run Microsoft Word without freezing and lagging (giving a Not Responding message) every time I click or type. Some pre-existing documents run fine, some (usually completely new) won't even let me type more than a single letter without freezing for 20 seconds. Some pre-existing documents run fine until I get to a certain page, then I can't even select the page or even scroll up or down without freezing. I find this very frustrating as much of my school work has to be done on Word. I think most of my problems have been removed by a myriad of anit-virus/trojan/spyware software, but this huge problem still persists.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.