Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stephen Hawking on Viruses

• Please log in to reply

Road Runner

Road Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says
something about human nature that the only form of life we have
created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own
image.
- Stephen Hawking

I hope this isn't too "political" for our terms of use.

I just found it an interesting quote.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Interesting.

But they're not 'alive'. They don't have sentience. They're just... bits of code.

That's like calling a script or a batch file life. It doesn't think independently- heck, it doesn't think! It just executes itself.

Executes. Ironic.

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hawking is doing it wrong.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But they're not 'alive'. They don't have sentience. They're just... bits of code.

That's like calling a script or a batch file life. It doesn't think independently- heck, it doesn't think! It just executes itself.

....so to be alive you have to be sentient? i'll have to let the bacteria and viruses know...

a virus is just a line of code. it's DNA in a shell and all it does is float around recreating itself (which is why computer viruses are called viruses by the way...it's not coincidence).

the point of the quote is to force you to question the existence of life...what quantifies a living thing? with regards to bacteria and viruses, they're qualified as life because they take part in the main things that constitute life. The consume something and change that something into something else (i.e. they "eat" to create energy), they reproduce, and they die. one could argue that a computer virus does the same thing. it consumes electricity and turns it into calculations/actions, it reproduces, then it dies.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have
created so far is purely destructive.

It isn't the only form of life we've created anymore...well,
sort of. Have a look for yourself.

If you want some more (totally stimulating :) ) information, watch this.

:) SGC :)
Hawking has mad ninja skills!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

one could argue that a computer virus does the same thing. it consumes electricity and turns it into calculations/actions, it reproduces, then it dies.

How do they die (apart from our great malware staff)?

Edited by Troy, 03 June 2010 - 10:19 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, people kill them, or they kill their host, or through the natural progression of software their code gets jacked up.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
i guess i was looking at it from a biological perspective. dsenette makes a very good point- if we assume that life does not necessarily have to be organic. but life- all life- as we know it is organic. biological. when man can create biological life... well, then we'll have a whole other series of problems on our hands.

Edited by FNP, 04 June 2010 - 11:32 AM.