Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 No Bootable Device Found

• Please log in to reply

kiniki

kiniki

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This might be really simple, or complicated... I'll just explain what i did and hopefully someome can help!

I have a Dell XPS 420, which has 2 hard drives Raid so that they appear as one. The second drive developed an error, so I purchased a 1tb drive to replace both.

I attached the 1TB drive to the DVD's sata cables and used norton Ghost 15 to clone the raid to my 1TB drive.

However the computer will not boot from the new drive. It's Windows 7 so I made sure it's attached in the Sata0 bay... But each time it tells me that no bootable drives are found. I have been able to search the new drive and can confirm that the files have copied... But like an idiot I deleted the Raid off one of the old drives so I can't run the PC off the old drives.

So now I dont have any drive that will boot into windows.

Will I be able to fix this with my Windows 7 DVD (which sadly is currently 100 miles away at my parents house), or will I end up having to reinstall and lose all my stuff?

Oddly, if I attach the old (working) SATA drive, it doesn't show up in the BIOS config... whichever way I attach them (ie Sata0 or Sata1) only 1 drive shows up in the boot sequence menu... Although both are detected in the drives subsection of the bios.

I set it so that in the BIOS, Raid is turned off as technically I don't have it on any drives anymore...

That's all the info I can think of right now, hopefully someone might be able to help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What type of RAID did you set up originally? RAID 0 (striped) or RAID 1 (mirroring)?