Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi

I have a dell that has been problematic of late, and after replacing one of the drives (two a dvd+-rw) I kept getting 0x0000008E Blue Screen of Death. Kind of sick of it all, and the solutions for 0x0000008E are pretty complicated, so now I want to format and reinstall everything because it has other errors too.

The dell discs are all gone, and after reading online, I noticed a lot of people cannot use a dell disc to install on non dell machines. This only goes one way correct?
I can use a regular XP Home CD and install that onto the dell pc (and it should load all the drivers as a regular XP install would) right?

Only reason I ask this is if this doesn't work, it may end up being more difficult than taking the time to fix the 0x0000008E and other errors...

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your Dell should have recovery partition, which you should be able to access by pressing CTRL + F11 at Dell's logo.
It'll return your computer to its original state.

You can also use Windows XP CD, but you'll need to reinstall some drivers.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Interesting, not sure how I missed the Ctrl - F11 future.

That would be perfect, except I have added a new dvd drive... which seems to have started my 0X0000008E blue screen of death (although unplugging my internet stick (which I've had for a long time) prevents the BSOD.)

Thanks for the tip, I will try a few more things before I give it a shot. Going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the bell (internet) software.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I've seen cases, exclusively related to XP, when having two optical drives was causing BSODs.
See, if removing one drive will help.

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
the dell recovery console can be reached by pressing F12 by itself during the dell screen and then follow the instructions
also if any of the drives is set as a master and on the same IDE channel as the main hard driver this can cause issues which can be alleviated by ether changeing the drive to a slave or changing the cable so that both master drives are not on the same IDE channel

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

the dell recovery console can be reached by pressing F12 by itself during the dell screen and then follow the instructions

<Ctrl>+<F11> = Dell Recovery

<F12> = Dell Diagnostics

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hey guys

I checked the settings, it was at master, so I switched it to slave... this didn't help. So I checked the other drive (it was set to cable select) so I did the same on the new drive.

This seems to help with that problem.

I uninstalled my turbo stick software (bell mobile connect) and restarted the computer. The computer actually restarted successfully (first time in a very long time.)

I reinstalled bell mobile connect, and BSOD again. I guess the new drive must be a coincidence because the restart issue was something that I was unable to solve previously... and the BSOD was something that did not appear until the new drive was installed...

Had I known this, I would not have opened a new thread, but here is the previous thread (issue) that I am referring to (the reason I never finished it is because work got really busy and I had no time until recently.)
http://www.geekstogo...rt-t261397.html

Any suggestions on what to try to get the turbo stick working would be appreciated, and the suggestions thus far are also very valuable!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, I guess, you should PM some mod and ask for reopening of the other thread.