Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Computer Has Gone Mad!

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
AAAAHHHHH. My PC has gone crazy! There is a new hidden (not on the welcome screen) user account. I found it under the "User Accounts" in the Control Panel. The title of the account is "ASP.NET Machine A...". It is a password protected limited account. What is this madness?! Please help.

Also at that same time, my SonicStage program stopped working completely. It said "Cannot find database file", I press OK and then it says "Cannot repair database file". Then it just completely shuts down, it doesn't really even start, all you get to see is the loading logo and error messages. That program took me forever to download and it is a big disappointment to see it stop working. I found out there is a new version of the program, 2.1. But the 38.6 MB program will take hours and hours to download on my dial up. I will contact Sony about this problem.

AAAAHHHHHH!!! Another problem! When I try burning burning the OpenMG audio files (over 400) to cd using the Windows built-in cd because it says, "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect funtion.". I can't burn them using Roxio because it says "the following files need to be renamed to be compatible with the naming conventions of your CD file system." It was an .omg file (like almost all the others).

Thanks,
Nathan

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hey nathan,

woahh when did this all start, and please dont say they started together <_<

have you tried a system restore?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Yes they all started at the same time. I managed to get past the error screen in Roxio only to have the recording fail. I tried multiple times but nothing.

Also, when you open "My Computer", you're supposed to see the user account documents at the top. Now all the only user documents it shows is "Shared Documents".

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Ok somehow Microsoft.Net framework was installed which might explain the aps.net user account.

But to have all these things go at once is really weird. Ask your family members if they noticed anything on their settings. Check for viruses if you havent already, and do what soxrox says, system resotore.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
i would take off roxio for the time being and do a reinstallation, for the user accounts, check if the ones added are administrator or user accounts and that could help you see when and where it got on, also check the time it waz made at, uve proly ran a system restore and a virus check, i think you got some bug on your hands and it could take some effort to get off but nothing that bad <_<

also i would uninstall the microsoft.net framework-take away everythign that caused the problem first and then slowly reinstall it

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Thanks so much for your advice <_<. Also, start menu shortcuts have started disappearing. System restore wouldn't work. I will delete that wierd user account. It

is a password protected limited account.

I intentionally installed .NET for the Dell Support software to work. Here are the troubled programs (will reinstall):

Intel Application Accelerator
Roxio Easy CD Creator 5
SonicStage 2.0U (new version is 2.1)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

No help on the Roxio site for the CD-RW problem, will try updating firmware. I will also run a trojan scan. How do I fix that user documents problem? Anything else I need to do?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I did some more research and found out I need to do this if it isn't done already:

Right-Click on the drive w/ the problem
Properties
Recording Tab
and then check the "Enable CD Recording On This Drive" box.

If that doesn't work, I'll update:
http://www.roxio.com...updatesv5.jhtml

I also found this MS page:
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315350

As for SonicStage, I'll uninstall it and install the 2.0 version that came with my atrac player to play my 400+ .omg files. I will need to update to the current version (2.1) to use their download service (Connect). Will update when I get time (38.6 MB!).

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Talking to myself here. I did that first thing about the CD-RW and fixed that problem. Uninstalled Sonicstage 2.0U. Currently scanning with AVG, writing my omg files to cd, installing Sonicstage 2.0, and writing this all at the same time. <_<

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
what still remains?

i enjoy talking to myself too

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I reinstalled SonicStage, but still same problem. Have contacted Sony customer service. AVG came up empty. The User Documents problem is still there. You know when you open up "My Computer", you're supposed to see all the other user's files as well. Well, not anymore, all I see is "Shared Documents". I just deleted that strange user account. All that needs to be done now is the SonicStage problem and the "Shared Documents" problem. Thanks everyone for their help on this one. <_<

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
by "shared docs" do you mean the same thing i have?

http://obtown.com/mydocs.gif

lol sorry for bad quality....ms paint <_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Nevermind. After deleting that strange user account, that problem is back to normal. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Strange, sounds like Sonic Stage was the source of your problems. Here's some info on that .net account: http://www.mvps.org/...wsXP/aspdot.php

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I uninstalled SonicStage and deleted all the Sony folders on my hard drive. Well I got great news. I talked to the Connect customer service and they say'd they'll send me a copy of the SonisStage 2.1 software. What nice people! That will end my problems. Thanks to everyone for their help. <_<