Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system32 problem

• Please log in to reply

asusko

asusko

• Pip
  • 1 posts
okay...I have a problem...BIG one!

My avast antivirus was telling me it found some viruses in some files in system32 folder. It kept flashing that message, I got annoyed and opened Windows Explorer, selected almost all files in system32 folder and deleted them. Yes, I deleted them
I'm an idiot, I know. :) Can you help me in any way? I have one huuugely important file on that computer so it's really important to get it back.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Follow this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

If your lost or that doesnt fix your problem, post here: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I hope you either have a recovery partition on the machine or the xp Cd cuz thats the only hope since you destroyed all the system 32 files which is what the OS uses to start up the system with

the only other option I can offer is to take the hd out of that machine and place it in a n enclosure and use it as a backup to another hard drive then go to my computer and copy the file you need to either a CD or the other hd then format that drive and place it back in the original machine and with the xp Cd in the cd rom drive run setup from scratch

should you go this route remember youll have to grab all the windows updates and the service pax and then get IE8 since the original Cd for xp came with IE6