Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to update earthling

• Please log in to reply

isleander

isleander

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I attempt to install updates from the Earthlink toolbox I get the following message:

"Unable to launch UpgdMgr.Exe"

Does anyone know how to cure the problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisements

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If the program was unable to launch UpgdMgr.Exe, you either do not have sufficient access to launch that executable, or you do not have the executable at all. To cure this problem, you need to either get hold of the executable, or give yourself access to it. It's all in the error message, really.

I would start such a rescue mission by searching for the file on my hard drive. If I came up with several files, I'd try to pinpoint the one that's in the same folder as where I installed whatever program this is about.

If the file was there, I would try to execute it. If I couldn't, I'd give myself access to do so.

If the file wasn't there, I'd either reinstall the program or try to copy the file from another machine, or, in a worst case scenario, grab the file from someone who have shared their installed version of the program on a file sharing network (this requires a thorough virus scan, version check and so on to verify that you have, in fact, found the correct file).