Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probable Motherboard Crash

• Please log in to reply

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Folks,

I am new to the site, but have used other sites for years (e.g., Tech Support Guy).

Running WINXP Pro on P4.

Computer starts, then shuts down after 2-3 seconds.
(1) Installed new battery - no change
(2) Unplugged internal hard drive
(a) computer booted to CPU change message
(b) Entered Setup and reset date & time
© computer exited and asked for boot disk.
(3) Put Kopple Linux boot disk in CD--computer shut down after 2 seconds
(4) Put WINXP Installation disc in CD--computer shut down after 2 seconds.

Now using my backup laptop computer.

I have lost no data.

I would like to have my old configuration back. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THIS CAN BE FIXED? And rather inexpensively (I am unemployed)? THE GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy wants $70 just to look at it and tell me what I think I already know--there is something wrong with the motherboard. (edited to read "THE GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy" rather than "GEEKS TO GO" JMS) :)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by jmsralnc, 14 April 2010 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Being that it is shutting down that fast it may be a motherboard or even more it could be a PSU issue.
Check the fan in the PSU when you turn it on and does it start turning right away?
It also could be a CPU issue where it is failing.
Try the following to test the motherboard.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Does the system start and stay running?

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks very much for your response.

Yes. the system starts and stays running.

"Verifying DMI Pool Data..............
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" (edited to read "DMI Pool" instead of "D<I Pool") jms

When I reached this point previously, and inserted the WINXP disc into the connected CD drive, the system would shut down.

What should I do next?

Edited by jmsralnc, 14 April 2010 - 01:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That error tells me that you are not booting to the cdrom but still to the HD.
Did you change the boot sequence in the bios so that the cdrom was the first boot device?
After doing so did you make sure to save and exit?

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes.

The BIOS was set to boot of master 1st, cd drive next. I did not change this. When I unplugged the HD, system went to cd drive.

So, if I have the hd plugged in--system shuts down
unplug the hd, system runs fine--when I put a cd in the connected drive, system shuts down.

If I completely power down, and power up with cd in drive and hd unplugged, system shuts down.

SOMETHING ELSE:

Originally, I thought the problem was front panel switch, as it was not catching. In other words, system would shut down after 2-sec, but if I kept trying front panel button, could get the system to eventually turn on and stay on.

took apart switch and unplugged from mobo. plugged back in, and switch seems to work fine (though I have not reattached to front panel) Could it be a short in the switch?

ALSO: Checked cpu temp while in BIOS--it was fine and well below shut down. all fans working. cleaned fins on cpu (which I did about 6 months ago.

Edited by jmsralnc, 13 April 2010 - 04:36 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when i see this error...Verifying D<I Pool Data...and then crash its been a hard drive failure...
try slaving the drive to a working computer and run chkdsk /r against the drive...bet it errors out...
just my 2 cents worth

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your BIOS should be set to boot from CD-ROM first if you are to install an OS, if you leave it at Master HDD then it will always stop there, they only time it will keep on going is if you have no HDD install, if installed then the BIOS sees noboot record on your HDD and tells you BOOTFAILURE and stop searching.

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when i see this error...Verifying D<I Pool Data...and then crash its been a hard drive failure...
try slaving the drive to a working computer and run chkdsk /r against the drive...bet it errors out...
just my 2 cents worth

Thanks very much. But I do not understand why when I disconnect the HD and try to boot off CD, the system does the same thing--shuts down after 2-3 secs.

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Your BIOS should be set to boot from CD-ROM first if you are to install an OS, if you leave it at Master HDD then it will always stop there, they only time it will keep on going is if you have no HDD install, if installed then the BIOS sees noboot record on your HDD and tells you BOOTFAILURE and stop searching.

With the HD disconnected, the BIOS is not seeing a HD. IDE Primary Master, Slave, and Secondaries all read "None" in standard CMOS features. Boot seq is floppy, cdrom, ide0, boot other device=yes

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello folks...back after a while.

:) :) :)

(1) Changed the boot sequence to boot of CD first.
(2) Powered up--got boot failure message--insert disk in cd rom
(3) Inserted WINXP CD
(4) System immediately shut down (all power off).
(5) Set power switch in back OFF
(7) Set power switch in back ON
(8) pressed front panel toggle switch lead to turn ON (with WINXP cd in drive)
(9) system on for 2 seconds then shut down.

This tells me that when the system has to read a device, it shuts down. Is this correct? Does this indicate power supply more so than MoBo?

I am thinking of getting a new power supply (current ps is 350w). Or even getting a new front panel switch and leads.

If anyone is still following this thread, I would very much appreciate a response.

Thanks for all of your help so far! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect the power from the HD and boot up. Does it shut down in 2 seconds or does it continue to run?

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey rshaffer,

Thanks much for your reply.

I followed your directions in the previous post--disconnected EVERYTHING except what was listed. System started and kept running.

Also:

(1) Disconnected HD and Floppy--Connected CD Drive. With NO CD in drive, system started and ran--displayed "Insert Boot Disk in CD ROM drive" message (set boot sequence to have CD 1st boot).
(2) Opened CD drive. Put WINXP disk in. As soon as I closed the drive the system powered down.
(3) Powered system up with WINXP disk in. Powered up--system shut down after 2 seconds.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The problem is not the front panel switch because you are getting it to turn on.
The front panel switch is a momentary contact to 2 pins on the main board. When the 2 pins make contact it sends a signal to the PSU to start.

I would 1st suspect a psu issue and then possible the main board.
Can you borrow a psu to test it with?

123runner

jmsralnc

jmsralnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The problem is not the front panel switch because you are getting it to turn on.
The front panel switch is a momentary contact to 2 pins on the main board. When the 2 pins make contact it sends a signal to the PSU to start.

I would 1st suspect a psu issue and then possible the main board.
Can you borrow a psu to test it with?

123runner

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. I think I can get a PSU to test it. Probably not until tomorrow.

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure you get one that is no lower then the wattage of the existing one. Preferably a good one and maybe go to a little higher wattage.