Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PLEASE SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS HELP ME!, my dell latitude d600 window

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to start my Dell Latitude D600 Windows XP labtop, I get a message that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. I have the option of starting in Safe mode, Safe mode with Networking, Safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, start windows normally. No matter which option I choose, it always restarts the computer flahes a blue screen rapidly then repeats the same process. I have used a few different start up Cds and the Fn/Start button key, F7/F8, key F12 diagnosis, everything........ PLEASE HELP
Thank you, Tara

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I know this is an old system but is there a recovery partition on the C drive it should be listed as D /recovery
if so press and hold F12 at boot and follow the instructions to run the recovery which will format the hard drive and start with a fresh copy of xp
after its done you will need to go grab all the windows updates and the service pax

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Just a bit of a possible correction here, but the Recovery partition on a Dell is reached by using the ctrl+F11 key.

As per Dell: In the case of Dell's "PC-Restore by Symantec" feature, Dell has supplied the user with a backup image made at the factory, and this backup is stored in the DSR partition. It is this backup that is restored from when the Ctrl+F11 keys are pressed.

The F12 key runs Dells Diagnostics program.

Edited by Murray S., 13 April 2010 - 11:01 PM.