Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - HomeGroup Issues

• Please log in to reply

DWJ

DWJ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Over Christmas my wife acquired an ACER Notebook with Windows 7. After Christmas I upgraded my Presario Notebook to Windows 7. Our primary purpose for doing this was to set up a homegroup to share files. The ACER was unable to Join the homegroup and if the ACER created the homegroup the Compaq could join but neither computer could access shared files.

After run the trouble shooter on each computer, the problem seemed to be on the ACER. I was advised to restore windows 7. I obtained a set of disks from Acer and restored the operating system. The homegroup situation remains unchanged.

I have made sure that both computers are operating with the Windows firewall with the recommended settings and I have removed the McAfee Firewall that came with the ACER.

I am trying to set up the Homegroup wirelessly. My internet connection is through AT&T DSL.

Does anyone have any Ideas -- I'll try anything.

Advertisements

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I got a couple of question before I can try and assist you.
1. What version on windows 7? i.e. Ultimate, home, enterprise....
2. Are both the machine under the same workgroup name?
3. Have you tried to turn off the firewall on the both the pc's?

DWJ

DWJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Both Computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium
Workgroup name is the same for both computers
I THINK I have turned the firewalls off on both computers
The ACER says System Type is 64 bits, while theCompac says 32 bits
I ran HomeGroup dianotics on both computers, Compact said the computer was configured properly but the other one was not responding. Dianotics on the ACER says the compact sharing is set but not responding.

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to try omething with you quickly, I need you to see if maybe the 2 machines can ping each other.
Click start
Run
cmd
ipconfig
get the address of the Acer, then on the compaq
Click start
Run
cmd
ping (the address of the Acer)
Then enter.

Refer to this website if you still having issues
http://commandwindow...m/tcpiputil.htm

DWJ

DWJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When i entered ipconfig, i get a number of lines scrolling with different messages all saying Media disconnected

DWJ

DWJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
firewall was NOT off, turned it off on both computers. Now able to see compac on acer, but can't see acer on compac

DWJ

DWJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a ping address on ACER == Compac says media disconnected

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This is an example of what you should see on both machines, the other suggestion I have is to check if there are any static ip address on any of the machines, can both machine access the internet? And are they successfully connected to the wireless?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG