Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Windows But USB doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

KoE_Dae'Loki

KoE_Dae'Loki

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I had just reinstalled Windows on a computer that was getting a BSoD, and woun't boot into safe mode it would just restart with no error message, according ot device manager everything is working fine, and I pulled all the drivers off of the manufacturers website, but for some odd reason USB isn't working.

It is sending it's voltage out because the speakers are powered via USB and they work, but they plug into the speaker jack for the sound and is only powered via USB, but when I plug something into the USB the computer acts like I never plugged anything into it, I have gone through the Windows Update several times until there was nothing there to download. I checked hardware, Recommended, and Optional updates.

Does anyone know anything about this, and a possible fix? I need to use my printer as I run a home based business and rely on the printer to print my receipts.

This is an older Windows XP SP2 Compaq computer, I have it at a friends house due to me not having internet at my house currently, and forgot to write the model number down, all I can remember it is SRxxxxNX.

Advertisements

KoE_Dae'Loki

KoE_Dae'Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
anyone?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If I read you correctly....

You are updated to SP2.
You have no red ! or yellow ? in device manager.

I would try un-installing the USB controllers and then rebooting. This will re-install the controllers.
Although re-installing the OS should not touch the bios, there are some bios's that allow you to turn on/ off USB. Check there for anything.

Someone else may have another idea.

Not knowing if this is a laptop or desktop, if desktop you could install a USB pci card.

123runner