Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Smart Phone for the Traveler

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I didn't know where else to put this question, but I'm sure we've got some tech savvy people in the GtoG community that can give some insight.

I do want to preface this post with, I do not want this to turn into an apple vs xyz arguement that no one can really back up other than brand loyalty. (which seems to be all I can find on any other forum or even highly regarded PC/Tech magazine articles) The best phone is dependent on what you plan on using it for. I guess I'm looking more for the best carrier as opposed to the best phone, but give me your best wag over all things you would consider, and some things maybe I should consider. So here's my uses and and I would like some open minded discussion and advice:

I am in the military, so I tend to travel around the US quite a bit. The majority of my time is spent in the Oklahoma City area where I live. However on holidays, I travel to Detroit every year to visit my parents. In the past year I've been to Las Vegas, Reno, Pheonix, San Antonio, and a small city in Mississippi. I do travel out of the country on occasion, but international use is not really a "must have" for me and falls at the low end of my priorities.

My top priority is voice coverage. Its a phone first and I need it to act like one everywhere I go with the best coverage. Great, I can download at some crazy 3g speed, but if I'm in an emergency, I need to know I can actually talk to someone. I typically text about 400-500 msg's a month, but that varies up and down. (mostly up :-p) I figure if I have good voice coverage, my texting shouldn't be too far behind it. In this same category as far as the phone is concerned, I need good quality phone calls. Coverage in the most rural parts of the country dont mean anything if the call is broken up and full of static.

Next priority is internet/wi-fi/3g coverage. Moving maps/gps is my main focus for this one. I don't need a turn by turn like a garmin, but if i can get a dot of where I am and what roads are around me, thats good enough for me to figure out where I'm going. With that being said, since I do frequently travel in unfamiliar areas, the ability to find areas of interest such at resturants or entertainment establishments becomes invaluable.

Internet/wi-fi speed is semi-important, but coverage is more important to me than speed. Unless the speed of a droid or similar smartphone is significantly slower than an iphone i'm not really to worried about it. As long as I dont have to wait 5 minutes for a page to load.If one loads a page 5-10 seconds faster or slower than the other, we'll call that equal speed.

Battery life is another important feature. I need to the phone to live more than 2 or 3 hours on standby. Preferably at least 2 days with minimal use.

Apps are fun I guess. I do like to have a game or 2, but I don't imagine I would ever download more than that,so the more free apps, the better. The little bar code scanner to find the best deals when shopping and other "functional" apps I'd would probably take advantage of. Being able to flick open a zippo lighter or weild a lightsaber on my phone is not anywhere on my list of reasons to buy a new smartphone. Also, I have an mp3 player. I have no use to have one integrated with my phone.

So while I have no doubt that I would be happy with an iPhone; with my needs, if everyone agrees that the iPhone with AT&T is the way to go, then thats what I'll do. But if you guys think a Droid through Verizon or even T-mobile (my carrier now, which I really no complaints of) would better suit my needs, then I have no problem going against the masses. So what do you guys think?

O ya, one more question for the techies out there too. Open source vs Closed source. I get what it means when dealing with a computer, but does it really make a difference on a phone? Probably find a few more apps on an "open source" OS, but really, apple has done a pretty good job about "making an app for that"...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello AF_Money...

I use a Droid on Verizon. It does all you mentioned and more. Verizon's coverage is exceptional and even though they say you can't surf and talk on the phone at the same time, I've found that this depends on the network traffic in your area. I have no problems here, nor did I have any problems when I visited the Dallas area recently. It even provides turn-by-turn instructions through Google Maps.

There are many free apps available, including a couple different bar code scanners which will find you the best deals on products you scan. I've had to pay for a couple of produtivity applications, but even then, they were very inexpensive. There's a dock available for it that turns it into a desk device while it charges the battery.

The battery lasts several days on standby and will last all day even when using the music player.

I love the thing...does everything I need it to do.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I second the Droid, I have the Motorola Droid with Verizon, and its incredible. Now don't get me wrong iphone and droid are both very good phones, but nothing beats the Verizon coverage... in fact Droid with Verizon out sold iphone for the first several months since its launch, so apple has decided to release the iphone to Verizon, I don't remember what the launch date is, so I will have to look that up and get back with you.

Love the Droid... it does everything I need plus more.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ya I saw the rumors of verizon gettin their hands on the iPhone too. I've done a little more research on it, and the conclusion I've come up with is this:

If apps, internet, and media are going to be your main focus for your smartphone, then the iPhone is the way to go. Since I'm personally putting voice and coverage ahead of all the "neat tricks" it can do, a droid phone will probably be my best bet.

Maybe if i bought into the whole apple movement and had the speaker dock, and used itunes regularly, and already owned any number of the hundreds of accessories that comes in the apple world, then I'd prolly cave to it too and jump on the iPhone wagon. But I dont have, nor do I plan on getting those things, even if I did own an apple product such as an iphone, ipod, ipod touch, ipad, ect... So I think the droid has won my heart. I think I'll wait till AT&T loses its exclusivity and when other carriers can use it, I'll come back and ask this question again...

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I think I'll wait till AT&T loses its exclusivity and when other carriers can use it, I'll come back and ask this question again...

What do you mean? I have the Motorola Droid and its Verizon... it has nothing to do with AT&T? There is also an HTC droid that Verizon sells, that AT&T has nothing to do with either... unless I missed something?

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well I don't want AT&T and thats my #1 reason for not getting an iPhone. So when other carriers such as verizon offers it, I'll come back to the iPhone vs Droid question again without worrying about coverage which is my main concern.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
ohh I got ya, I miss understood. :)