Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen Startup

• Please log in to reply

Mysti Cure

Mysti Cure

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with a computer and I believe it must be a hardware problem.
The computer was working fine however after a normal shutdown it failed to startup without showing anything on the screen and beeping.

Here is a link to the beeps
Beeps

The BIOS manufacturer is American Megatrends Inc.

Any tips on how to fix this? Is it a motherboard problem? Also any advice would be appreciated (for buying a new motherboard if that's the case etc.)

I removed a connected USB Wireless Network Card, RAM and Hard Drive but the beeps were still there. The motherboard does not have on board video card and I have a GeForce 7600GT on a PCI-E slot where the Display is plugged.

I have searched the beep codes errors by AMI BIOS but I'm not sure weather it's 2 short beeps and then 9 short beeps or 11 together.

Advertisements

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Mystri,

I would like to know if you have ran any BIOS updation software on your machine?

Mysti Cure

Mysti Cure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello Mohammad,

No I haven't run any BIOS update. I believe the BIOS version the computer had was from 2006 (but I'm not 100% sure)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
9 beeps usually means ROM checksum error.

According to AMI, officially 9 beeps doesn't mean anything anymore and a system shouldn't issue 9 beeps.
Going on the basis most systems beep because they can't write anything on the screen, I'd suspect the graphics card OR the graphics card port. If it's the card, you can replace it, if it's the port it's a new board job.

Mysti Cure

Mysti Cure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I will try to replace the Graphics card with another one from a different computer and see what happens.

Thanks for the info Neil.