Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble connecting to wireless internet. Other laptops connecting fine

• Please log in to reply

dtrotman

dtrotman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

This is my first ever post on a forum, but I thought I would give it a try as I am at a complete loss as to what to do myself.

I have a 2 year old Fujitsu Seimens Esprimo Mobile V5535 and I am running Vista. We have a Netgear DG834GT Super Wireless ADSL router.

I am having trouble connecting to the internet. Sometimes pages load, but more often I get error messages such as "Connection has timed out" or "Server is taking too long to respond". This problems started yesterday and has never happened before. Other laptops are connecting to the router wirelessly without any problems.

I realised that there had been some windows updates (e.g. 2007 Office - KB981715) that had failed over the weekend. I was eventually able to download and intall them. However, this does not seem to have helped.

I have tried to "diagnose and repair" the connection and I get a range of different responses. Sometimes "There is a problem that cannot be repaired automatically", or "The TCP setting is not compatible with your router" so I hit "Turn off the TCP setting", then it says "Turn on TCP settings", other times "Get new IP settings" or "Reset the network adapter", which I try. Nothing seems to work.

I have also tried resetting the router remotely from another laptop which also does nothing.

Please help?

Thanks (in advance), Dan

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://www.techsuppo...8687-post3.html

Try these changes on the malfunctioning V5535 and see if they help.

dtrotman

dtrotman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried those settings. I can now google, but very slowly, but it still drops the connection when I try any other websites in the same way as before. :)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Dan

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
It could be a million different things, but a common issue is spyware/malware. If you're not certain the PC is free of these nasty bits, visit the link below.

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

dtrotman

dtrotman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks very much for your help. I am in the process of following all the steps to detect spyware/other.

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Dtrotman,

10 - Goto wireless connections and remove the wireless connection with your router and recreate a connection with your wireless router.

After following all the above steps please try to browse the internet and check the connectivity, everything should be working fine.

Please reply with your system configurations for more help.

Edited by Rorschach112, 19 April 2010 - 11:54 AM.
removed malware advice