Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drives going bad.

• Please log in to reply

John_stmary_Semi-geek

John_stmary_Semi-geek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
so i have had my system for about idk 7 or 8 months now, when i first got it i was running windows xp, and ran into alot of problems so i decided to switch over to running ubuntu. i had no problems running ubuntu at allm until a couple months ago, when my drives seemed to be crashing on me. what would happen was (roughly 20 minutes or so after booting) the system would completely freeze up on me. i had gotten a used HDD from a friend and completley wiped the primary disk cleam and reinstalled ubuntu on it, and reinstalled ubuntu, after reinstalling the operating system etc restoring all of my programs and all that good stuff, i thought hey i can still use the other drive as a secondary drive. i was wrong the same problem occured, but instead of fully freezing this time i could use the mouse after it froze. some of the problems before wouldinclude having to run ubuntu in recovery mode to reinstall the power managment packages for some reason. i have had to do this roughly 8 or 9 times now. after about 3 months the secondary drive completely died and i would get a message in ubuntu that one or more of my drives was failing. after the secondary completely died i just removed it from the system and now am using just the primary drive, but in order for my system to run continuously i have to eother be playing music, or watching a video from one of the media player. if i do not do this the computer will freeze after 15-20 minutes.

can anyone help me with this problem. if you read this befor sorry that i kind gave vague details i was being kinda lazy

Edited by John_stmary_Semi-geek, 14 April 2010 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Determine the maker of your hard drive and download the appropriate diagnostic utility. Many of these are in ISO format and need to be burned to CD-R, then booted from CD-R.

Since both hard drives produced the same type of symptom, the root cause could be RAM, in which case you should test it too.

http://www.memtest.o...6 -4.00.iso.zip

John_stmary_Semi-geek

John_stmary_Semi-geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i actually recently upgraded my ram a couple days ago, and it seems to be having the same problems, one of the other problems that has been occuring is the system will bog down really low and i will get very little performance from it. i will attempt to use the software you suggested to test the drive. i will post the results as soon as i am done

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Please note any error codes produced.

John_stmary_Semi-geek

John_stmary_Semi-geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i ran the test through once and there were no errors at all. it went smoothly on all of the tests

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If the test on the hard drive was successful, then please test your RAM using Memtest.

http://www.memtest.o...6 -4.00.iso.zip

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the issue is not ram or hd then please do the following and supply the requested log for Daffy to check. This will let him know if the issue is software or drivers.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

John_stmary_Semi-geek

John_stmary_Semi-geek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh yeah by the way i am running ubuntu 9.10 so this diagnostics tool will not help. and also i did the ram test not the HDD test and it was good, so that i know tha tit is deffinately a problem with the HDD

Edited by John_stmary_Semi-geek, 15 April 2010 - 03:16 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Then you need to run the drive manufacturers tests. There is a link in my signature.
The other thing that you can try is to reseat the power and data cable on the drive.
You could also try another data cable because a bad cable will do some funky stuff.

123runner