Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

Rowlee

Rowlee

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi again Shaffer:

my comp is using 100% CPU again and freezing.
Ive done a defrag and disk cleanup and still same.
even on startup with Firefox closed it froze.
have disabled indexing and tea timer.
It is worse yet connected to MLBaseball downloading games.
cant think of anything else right now.
Firefox was using only up to 95% while reloading several pages
according to windows task mngr. and what was using other 5%
wasnt showing.

Roland. :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Please continue this in your original topic or link to it.

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
sounds like a RAM issue how much RAM do you have also whats the stats on free space and used spac eonthe C drive
to find out open my computer and click view then details

for ram right click my computer and it will show hom\w much ram is in the machine and if you are sharign it with video it could cause issues

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

sounds like a RAM issue how much RAM do you have also whats the stats on free space and used spac eonthe C drive
to find out open my computer and click view then details

for ram right click my computer and it will show hom\w much ram is in the machine and if you are sharign it with video it could cause issues

Care to explain your thoughts further, why CPU hitting 100% could be a RAM or HDD space issue?

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK firs toff RAM is whats being used as well as cpu since all data has to go thru RAM to even get to the cpu
next hdd may be a bit of a misnomer since free space under 25 percent with win xp usually causes the system to use cpu and RAM to try to hold the swap space or paging file together, which can cause the system either lock up, not boot or just plain old slow down

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Troy: Ive been trying to reconnect with my original postings with Shaffer but haven't been able to for some reason.
can you tell me what I can do to reconnect with him?
Thank you,
Rowleel

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Original topic HERE
I am following both topics.

kosborne

kosborne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
CPU usage is very high. (120k - 284k) Computer is lagging. Very slow. I downloaded newest version of Firefox and now there is Norton suite and McAfee programs. I feel my free AVG was best. Not sure what the problems are I just know it has to have some major malfunctions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: kosborne

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

OK firs toff RAM is whats being used as well as cpu since all data has to go thru RAM to even get to the cpu
next hdd may be a bit of a misnomer since free space under 25 percent with win xp usually causes the system to use cpu and RAM to try to hold the swap space or paging file together, which can cause the system either lock up, not boot or just plain old slow down

Okay Tpneer2, I see what you're saying here however not enough is known about the system to point there just yet, in my opinion. After reading my own post above it may have come across a little rude, but I didn't mean it that way, I was just curious as to your line of thought. :)

Hi Rowlee, I had a look through the other thread and couldn't see much information, so sorry if this has been asked before (Ron may know some of this):
  • Can you please advise make/model of the computer, or if a custom model, the parts in the build?
  • Using a program such as Belarc Advisor, please copy a list of all installed programs on the computer experiencing issues (be careful not to copy any software licenses or any other info you are not comfortable with having on the web) - Belarc is also handy for a basic rundown of hardware components as well. Also under Belarc if there are listed any Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes - so make sure to allow it to update when running the audit.
  • Is the issue of high CPU usage only related to when you are using Firefox? Have you tried using Firefox in Safe Mode (Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode) and see if that makes a difference)? If applicable, what else can you do to have these symptoms reoccur?
Let's see where we go from there.

Cheers

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope don't know the system Troy. What I have suggested to do in original topic:
Cleared Autoruns
Ran TFC
Ran Auslogics Defrag
Tried FF with no add ons
Disabled everything in Msconfig startups
Used JavaRa to uninstall old java versions and updated java

Might try chkdsk /r and sfc

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another thing to try...click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...
uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...reboot and test