Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need windows installer or ISO

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, I have found that many people I work with do not have the software that came with their computer, but they do have either the CD Key sticker or I can get the Product ID from the computer registry. However, that still does not help if I am needing to reinstall the OS. I was wondering if there was a way to get just either the installer files for various Windows distributions or an ISO of the disc to use for this purpose. Still using their CD Key, so it is their legal copy, just needing the actual install media itself. I know i could go and buy an OEM copy and use that install disc, but I was not wanting to have to do that. Anyone have any guidance for this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop or Desktop?
Brand name and if so make and model
Custom built did you get any recovery cd's?
There is no place legally you can download Microsoft OS legally.
After the above questions are answered then I can instruct you further.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

There is no place legally you can download Microsoft OS legally.

I don't mean to pick nits, but TechNet, MSDN, and trials from Microsoft should be legitimate for most North American and European users.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may be true but without knowing if this is a branded system or not then the suggestion of using what you advise is not appropriate right now.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I'm not suggesting the OP obtain a TechNet subscription. I'm simply suggesting there are ways to legitimately download MS operating systems, rather than going the P2P route. The OP may be able to call the OEM and order the installation DVD for a minimal cost; I do not know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct in your assumption but that is why we need to know what kind of system we are assisting with first. Then we can suggest as you stated if it is appropriate to do so. If name brand it is better to contact the manufacturer or check for a recovery partition first.
P2P is not a acceptable route and we will not support it in any way here.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I did not realize I was going to start a bit of a confrontation here, but this is a variety of builds, some are custom builds not built by me but I am working on, some are branded builds from Dell and HP. I was kinda after having it for my "tool kit" so that I would not have to hunt that stuff down when I work with a user. I can just pull their CD Keys from either the label (if branded) or with Magic Jellybean (if custom) and do the reinstall using a generic installation without entering the product key at all until the point of activation after the fresh install. I did not know if there was any way to acquire that kind of stuff without going P2P (since many are corrupted anyway) or buying an OEM copy of each OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem is that the branded systems use a OEM disk specifically tailored for that system with drivers for that system. A OEM disk will not have those drivers and they would have to manually installed by using the manufacturers website.
If system is custom built then you would have to have the correct version of the OS Home, Media or Pro to reinstall.
Even then there is no guarantee that all the drivers would be installed especially if it is a newer system.

but this is a variety of builds, some are custom builds not built by me but I am working on, some are branded builds from Dell and HPbut this is a variety of builds, some are custom builds not built by me but I am working on, some are branded builds from Dell and HP

Not sure what you mean by this. Is this a repair facility or shop?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I work freelance on computers, so they vary greatly from user to user. Don't have the money to invest in a Technet subscription. Just wondered if there were any suggestions other than P2P. Thought I would ask those with more experience and knowledge than me. Thank you for your input though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did not realize I was going to start a bit of a confrontation here

Not confrontation but simply we all have different levels of expertise and knowledge so it is not uncommon to assist in a topic with other ideas.
What you need to do is to bookmark manufacturers websites so youcan pull the drivers for each system you work on.
As far as reloading system the best advice I can give you is the owner should have recovery disks or a recovery partition. You would be investing thousands in to just buying every version of OS's in both retail and OEM versions.
I further would suggest you read the Microsoft Eula's for OEM and Retail versions as they do differ in what you can and can not do.
A OEM reg number will not work on a retail installation and vice versa.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank you, I do appreciate the input very much. I want to learn as much as I can and I have a good bit of experience with hardware, but a considerable amount less with software, so I am trying to further my knowledge in that field to be more help to the people that need it. Of course, finding this website has helped with just about everything I have needed and been a great blessing. Great to know that there are people out there willing to help for the sake of helping and nothing more. Once again, thanks for the input and advice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other piece of advice...Google is your friend

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ah yes, a friend that I visit often.

daeemann

daeemann

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
You can buy generic OEM version of XP from Newegg. Before formatting an installation of windows on the machine, backup these 4 files:

%SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.BIN
%SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.DAT
%SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.SIG
%SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT

and get the key using Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

This will preserve pre-activation.

Or just use the COA key, a windows sticker, you can find on the outside of a OEM computer and use the generic OEM disk. You might have to activate by phone.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is not an excuse for cheating but,

The day Microsoft is stopped being sued for many illegal action it did had done is doing and probably will be doing in the future is the day i will respect them as a company.

Its like a policeman giving you a ticket for not doing your stop sign and on the next corner it does not do is stop.

Edited by Alzeimer, 24 April 2010 - 08:07 AM.