Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Loss of space

• Please log in to reply

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just got my computer back from warentee and they reformatted my hard drive. It had the ushual 80gb. But then I reformatted it again to put XP pro on there and it said my hard drive has only 32gb on it...not free space, its capacity....Please help me resolve this

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you comfortable opening the case? I suspect your hard drive has a jumper on it, that limits the drive to 32 GB. removing this jumper should fix it.
you will need to shut it down, unplug it, open it up, and remove the drive. there should be a legend on the drive telling you what the jumper settings are.
if you have any questions, etc. post back with them, and the make/model # of your hard drive.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Just take out the jumper? its not needed?

Edited by Royal, 20 May 2005 - 09:21 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
correct. keep it handy, those can be like gold sometimes (at least if you ever do any system building)

Nalyd

Nalyd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
That's true, I have a tackle box full of jumpers, risers, screws and thermal paste. It is a beautiful thing to have one of those things handy when something unexpected happens. :tazz:

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I took it out, I botted up my computer and check space in C: and its the same

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
bump

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
and theres only one jumper in the hd? call the hd manufacturer or look at the manuel, otherwise, im not sure.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
whats the make and model of your hard drive? Ill see if I can find anything...