Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs keap crashing and loosing conection

• Please log in to reply

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Tryed restarting again but the funy part is that the modem didnt restart like it did when thech guy was here lol
and speed test results ...

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only other issue I can think of is a firewall issue. I still cannot see it turning the modem off as the modem is powered completely away from the pc and the only thing the system does it talk to it with the signal.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
didnt change firewall or instal some other firewall its still original XP firewall...
yes i know but it realy did atleaste the lights on modem went off and back on like if you would restart it manualy lol

Oh and did you read my last post the last one on page 3 ? Because this speed test post went on page 4 and and if you went directly to page 4 you mised that other one .

And if i restart my modem its a bit beter but still not what its supose to be :)

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by Killza, 10 May 2010 - 02:34 PM.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Any one else any ideas how to fix this ? Or how to figure out why it becomes so slow after some time because i give up :) :)

Edited by Killza, 14 May 2010 - 04:52 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode with networking...work all day like that...if it doesn't get slow its a driver...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Faulty nic
Faulty line
Faulty modem
Signal loss or line noise.
There seems to be a modem issue but unless you have some software installed that controls modem from your pc then I do not know of any reason it would be happening.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

try booting into safe mode with networking...work all day like that...if it doesn't get slow its a driver...

Tryed that and it was imposible to surf the web it took 5-10 min to load a page :) then i restared and went back to normal mode still the same every time i try to open a page it takes atleast 5 min or it frezes and stops somewere in the midle .Ohh and a few hours back when i was trying to open one page modem sudenly restarted by it self :)

Tooday no mater how many times i restart my moder or PC it doesent get beter :) before after a restart it alteastse worked for a while .

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Faulty nic
Faulty line
Faulty modem
Signal loss or line noise.
There seems to be a modem issue but unless you have some software installed that controls modem from your pc then I do not know of any reason it would be happening.

Tryed two nic cards they cant be both faulty .
Tryed changing the line

Thech guy from my ISP said both are fine modem and the signal ... Maybe he just said that to get rid of me lol or he doesent have a clue about this stuf and should go working in McDonadals :) idk i will try to finde another modem to see if it gets beter or it will be the same .

Thats what i think all the time that some thing is messing with my system maybe some program that i have instaled ... maybe that registry booster meesed up and after i unstial it the problem stayed some where in the system ... maybe this Avast anti virus messing things up but eaven if i turn it off its still the same .

Im realy considering to format my system again and instal only the basic stuf and see if it gets beter ...but if its get beter only for a day or two i will trow my pc out of the window :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets try a couple of things. First try this:
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If this finds errors and fixes them rerun it to make sure it got everything. If after it finds nothing then we may need to move on to a sfc /scannow and see if the drivers are the issue.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
First step : nothing
after it finished it restarted and wrote volume C: clean and started the windows

second step the same after it finished it didnt wrote any thing no erors just quit as its writen in your gude .

i guess ill have to try another modem ...unles you have any other ideas

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep a couple other steps.
Repair Installation and if that doesn't work then a Parallel Installation.
I take it you have your XP installation disk so both are possible.
Repair Installation first as i would like you to be able to repair your existing installation and keep all your data and programs currently installed.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have 1TB external hard drive probably one good thing lol
But why would i need 500 GB ? i maybe have only a few gigs on my hard drive .

Yes i have XP CD but is it a problem that its a copy ? I have automatic updates turned off because i heard that if you have them ON and you use a pirate version your XPs start to crash because of some kinde securty windows have come up with .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one other thing to make sure its not a OS problem...get ubuntu live cd...
it will load and run right from the cd...if it has the same speed problem you can tell your ISP its either their modem and or their line/service...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just using that as a suggestion in case you had nothing to backup to. Since you have the 1tb drive you can use it.
If it is a pirate version it probably will cause problems regardless and I can't assist using it.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Tryed to download that " ubuntu live cd " but it says 8h to download coz my speed is so messed up lol ... will try it later if it gets beter .

Aha i see :) doing the back up nou it will take probably another 3 h :) so after its done will still do that repair and get back with results .