Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs keap crashing and loosing conection

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Tryed to download that " ubuntu live cd " but it says 8h to download coz my speed is so messed up lol ... will try it later if it gets beter .

see if you have a friend that has broadband that will download it for you...its about 700MB

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I will thank you :) What does this program do ? what is it somekinde of speed tester or virtual modem ?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I will thank you :) What does this program do ? what is it somekinde of speed tester or virtual modem ?

nope...its a linux operating system...it will run from the cd drive and will automatically connect to the internet using your hardware...then you just surf around on the internet and if you still have slowdowns then you will know its not windows causing the slowdown...it is their equipment...

Edited by happyrock, 15 May 2010 - 11:41 AM.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hmmm good idea :) i see its iso file so i can run it via damon tools-> virtual cd rom wrigt ? or its nessesary to burn it on CD ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will also let you backup your data without using windows.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
:) :) I think i found it :) i hope this is it ....
i looked at the back side of the modem and i saw it has aditional slot for usb cable so i looked up for this cable around the house found it and pluged it in and the lights on the modem sudenly started to work as they should and pages open normal too so i went to speed test and it was 10MB/s :) before i couldnt eaven do it coz it was so slow lol

Is this posible that i have two crapy cabels or is this just another good hour of good conection and it will get back to slow motion lol

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
nwm if i unplug the other cabel it doesent work at all lol .. i guess it was just a good 15 min lol and speed is allready droping to 2-4mb/s :)

will continiue with what i was doing lol

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should have used that hour to download ubuntu...and yes you need to burn the iso it to cd then boot from the cd

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I did that :) it was first thing i did :)

and 5 min ago i tryed to run it via damon tools it reboot and tryed to load ubuntu but some mesage came that it can because off some reason bla bla ... nou i guess ill have to finde a blank CD

or can i instal it directly on my hard drive ? what do you recomend ?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just run it as a live cd...we are trying to determine if its a OS issue or your ISP

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Guys i mess up some where big time last night ... when i tryed to burn the image on the DVD-RW my pc started to freez so i lost my minde trying and i went directly to reinstaling win .. i did folow all the steps and what happened that when it allmost instaled win it went in to loop whright there when the setup restarts so every time setup has restatrted it went back and insaled and restarted again and again ... no mater what i tryed to get back in i just allways got a black screen :)
So because i didnt want to format yet i instaled win with out formating just a fresh copy next to the win that are allready on so i will be able to copy the stuf i need and then just format the HD completly and start ower again :) i was busting my head with it till 4am last night so i guess i can format it since i messed up every thing allready :)

Tooday i hope that my friend will bring me another modem i hope he dont forget so i will be able to test it and in 4h i will start formating and instal every thing back on from scratch . So if you guys have any sugjestion what to instal and what not please tell me :) i can tell you exactly what are my sys spec and what motherboard i have and of course you allready know about my XPs that its a copy . I am considering to buy an original but wright nou im broke and they are not cheap .

So the plan is to instal : win , antivirus , drivers for motherboard , graphic card drivers , SP1 and SP2 maybe i will skip Sp3 " mabe there was the problem " ...
if any more ideas please post them if not ill see you when im done with all this and we will go from there :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Correct installation steps are
OS
Motherboard Chipset drivers
Graphics Card
Internet
Anti Virus
Then do all the updates.

Killza

Killza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok thank you :)
what do you mean with Internet .. you mean set up the conection ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The connection will be setup during the OS installation.
I think I got that one out of place. Before going on internet make sure AV is installed then do all the updates.