Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstalled windows over another version after crash, drivers not inst

• Please log in to reply

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
so a while back this computer crashed and every time i turned the comp on it said something about being unable to load windows and i couldnt get anything to work. To solve this i decided to try to reinstall windows. I thought i formatted the drive and installed it but apparently i just installed it over the old version. This left all the old files on the computer and many of the programs dont work or give me errors when i try to run them. After the reinstall i installed all the drivers i could but still, now, every time i turn the comp on i get a little "balloon" in the task bar that says found new multimedia audio controller, and windows trys to install some Realtek AC'97 Audio driver, but always comes across an error and wont install.

On a side note and a more recent prob, every time i right click on an audio or video file, or sometimes when i try to drag and drop the files into windows media player the computer crashes, getting everything off the screen except my background picture and freezes there until i restart.

Thanks in advance for any advice and or pointers.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 if that helps at all

Edited by AE77surfer, 14 April 2010 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You haven't installed all of them.
You need to install the main board drivers.

Go Here

It is probably crashing on the audio files because you are missing the drivers.

After you clear all of the yellow ? and red ! found in device manager that will probably clear the windows media player crash.

123runner

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
there are no yellow ? or red ! in the device manager...i installed the audio driver off that page but it didnt do anything...is that the one you meant for me to download, or a different one?