Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Some help

• Please log in to reply

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey guys,

I'm building ym third pc and trying to find out waht the problem is.

Ok so this is the deal.

I bought an open box motherboard for this build.

When the psu is plugged into the motherboard the little green light on the motherboard pops on (as if everything is working.

After attaching everything together (and having the power switch plug into the right little socket in the corner of the motherboard).

When i goto power the PC on nothing happens.

I have everything connected properly, and I am thinking it may be the motherboard.

What do you think, it was an openbox motherboard, but could there be something else causing this?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi sublimistri, Welcome to Geekstogo! :)

It seems it may be a bad mobo, but checking the power supply first is the next step. Getting no action could be a sign of a bad PSU even if the motherboard's green light is on. Do you have another power supply you can test with? If it's a low wattage one, be sure to use onboard video or a regular video card that doesn't require lots of power.

Any luck?

Can you link or list the components name and model numbers so I can verify compatibility? Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU.

Also, when testing (cause I'm not sure how you do it) do this outside of the case...

Try a bench test:
  • Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
  • Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
  • Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
  • Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
  • Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
  • Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
  • Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
  • Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor (if all you have is USB, that's ok)
  • Power the system on
  • Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS)
DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Do the fans remain on, but no video?

Let me know. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 14 April 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Try clearing the CMOS tooo, almost forgot to tell you that sorry.

Clear your CMOS:
  • Unplug your computer from the wall
  • Open the case up, usually the left panel comes off
  • Locate the CMOS Battery (See Image)
  • Use a small flat head screw driver to pry it out
    CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW
    BE CAREFUL and Gentle!
  • Wait 5 minutes while pressing and holding the power button
    a few times to release any left over electricity in the system
  • Pop the battery back into place
Please Note: You will have to reset the time and date in the BIOS upon first boot.
Posted Image

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Will they start up without ram, I did not have any ram inside of it but I did not think that that would be a problem.

The problem is it just will not power up period, no fans run anything.

I will try what you mentioned in a little bit, Switching out power supplies is work.

It is an ASUS M4A78L-M 760G AM3 with 500w power supply.

Edited by Sublimistri, 14 April 2010 - 05:40 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Will they start up without ram, I did not have any ram inside of it but I did not think that that would be a problem.

Usually it will start up without RAM, but it will give you a beep code. Do you have a speaker connected? Does one come on the motherboard?

It is an ASUS M4A78L-M 760G AM3 with 500w power supply.

What is the CPU?

Switching out power supplies is work.

I know what you mean. That is why I test every system I build outside of the case as per my instructions (bench test it). I even install Windows that way too... then when everything is done, I finally put everything in the case. Boot up and I'm done.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
CPU is a 2.8 GHZ AMD Quadcore Athlon II x4 630

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
CPU is compatible with motherboard. Let me know how the testing goes. Starting up with no RAM should give you a beep code. If that isn't happening, then it's either the motherboard or the CPU, assuming you are using a known to be good power supply.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey, thanks for the help.

Come to find out I did not have the 4 pin plugged into the motherboard (the one that isnt with the 24 pin). and it wouldn't startup with ram so I added ram and it started up, got me to the asus screen, the motherboard and the powersupply were both working, after the asus screen I now get this error.

Bootmgr not found?

What is this?

This is what I did, I took a harddrive from a new pc (but I wanted to upgrade it in this pc) and put it in this one after formatting the drive (taking windows 7 off the drive using the windows 7 cd).

So this pc has a hard drive that previously had win 7 on it but was formatted so it now has nothing on it, and it is now in a new build.

Edited by Sublimistri, 15 April 2010 - 10:04 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm glad to see you've made some progress. :)

Bootmgr not found?

I believe you are getting this error because you don't have a hard drive connected, or may not have an OS installed on the hard drive.

So this pc has a hard drive that previously had win 7 on it but was formatted so it now has nothing on it, and it is now in a new build.

EDIT: You edited during my reply. Yes, because the drive is empty, there is no bootmgr. You should be ready to install Windows if you wanted.

Edited by Ferrari, 15 April 2010 - 10:05 PM.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey I made an edit, but am reposting it to get your attention

This is what I did, I took a harddrive from a new pc (but I wanted to upgrade it in this pc) and put it in this one after formatting the drive (taking windows 7 off the drive using the windows 7 cd).

I could not get inside the bios screen to switch boot to the dvd drive.

Thanks again

Edited by Sublimistri, 15 April 2010 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What do you mean you can't get into the BIOS? The bootmgr error doesn't have anything to do with the BIOS. Are you pressing the appropriate key to enter the BIOS? It is most likely the delete key or you can download the manual from ASUS.com and see what it says.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was pressing the delete key repetitively after starting it up, I am about to try it again and then post the results, maybe the keyboard wasn't plugged in well enough.

When you ask what I mean I could not get into the bios, it just acted like I pressed nothing and kept starting up like it normally would, which ran into the error.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

When you ask what I mean I could not get into the bios, it just acted like I pressed nothing and kept starting up like it normally would, which ran into the error.

I just checked your manual, it's the delete key. You might be missing it, keep trying? Also, clearing the CMOS might help, I gave instructions for that earlier.

Sublimistri

Sublimistri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the help I got everything working now for that PC.

I am guessing the delete key just either did not press, or it was not fully plugged in.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Excellent, and you are welcome. Anytime. :)