Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many Problems Including Rundll32.exe

• Please log in to reply

grazman

grazman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I'm looking for some help to fix many of my problems. A day ago I got a virus called XP Smart security and after countless attempts, I finally got it removed. But now, I have problems with my apps. For 1 thing, whenever I double-click and app, I get the "Open With" box and I have to run it from there, and every time it opens I get the option to save it for some reason. Also, when I open my control panel, every section works except for "Add Or Remove Programs" and "Security Center". Whenever I try to open these files, I get a message that says "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application Not Found." SO, if anyone could tell me what I application I have to use to run it or whatever, that'd be good. Also, another, less serious but still annoying problem I have is one I've had 100 times before. Whenever I search for anything with a search engine such as Yahoo or Google and I click on a link, it takes me to another site entirely and I usually have to go back to where I was before and either copy and paste the link to the address bar or drag and drop the link onto the address bar. So, my question is, can anyone please help me solve ANY of these problems? I the past, to fix these problems, I had to reformat my HD and I really don't want to have to do that again because it takes forever to go back to XP Service pack 1, the upgrade to Service Pack 2, then re-install and update ALL of my programs and everything else. Also, reformatting sucks because I still have the virus that's immune to re-formatting. You know, the one that makes all of your programs say "The setup files are corrupt, please obtain a new copy" when you try to run them? If anyone could help me get rid of THAT one, I'd be very grateful. Anyway, any help you can give me would be very welcome, so thank you all.

Edited by grazman, 15 April 2010 - 01:49 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Whenever I search for anything with a search engine such as Yahoo or Google and I click on a link, it takes me to another site entirely

Sounds like you're still infected. Recommend starting a new topic in our Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum.

Before you start a new topic though, please visit our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will guide you through a few preparations, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from one of our malware experts, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Edited by SpywareDr, 15 April 2010 - 02:39 AM.

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

Mohammad Ashraf Dar

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Grazman,

I found a solution on majorgeeks.com.

1 - Click on this link
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm
2 - Then scroll down to no 12 and click on it
3 - You will get a pop-up, Click on "Run".
4 - It will prompt you with a new window asking if you want to make the changes to the registry.
5 - Click on "Yes".
6 - Restart your machine.

Note:- If you go to the website Antryg links to, open number 12, firefox and chrome seems to
just open it as text, so copy all the text and paste it into a notepad document. Then go to File, Save
As. Under "Save as type:" select "All Files" and give it a name you wish with a ".reg" (without the
quotes) extension after the name.
Then just double click it, if it gives you an "open with..." error, you might have to right click the
file, and go to run as, then uncheck the box that says something like "protect my computer and files
from programs" then click okay and run it. This will prompt you with a new window asking if you want
to make the change to the registry, click "Yes" then restart your computer.

Now try to open the applications, everything should work fine.

Please follow above mentioned steps and let me know.

Edited by Mohammad Ashraf Dar, 20 April 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
The users problem is malware related, he needs to follow SpywareDr's steps

grazman

grazman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your guys' advice, it has helped a lot. I'm still having problems with the "The setup files are corrupt" thing though. I have no idea how to fix it. Is there maybe a way to bypass it or anything like that? Any solution ideas are welcome. So please, someone help me get rid of this problem, thanx.