Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't post after new CPU is added

• Please log in to reply

BeastSS

BeastSS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I helped a friend upgrade his computer with a new CPU. After turning the computer on, the case and CPU fans turn on briefly, then stop with no further activity. Memory was removed to get access to the heat sink release, but we have removed and reseated the memory and the problem has not changed. The mobo is an Elite K7VZA REV 3.0 and the old CPU was an 800mHz Duron. The new CPU is the Athlon 1700+. The new CPU is listed as compatible. What should we be doing to resolve this next?

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the psu may not supply enough power...or the mb might not be able to read the processer- make sure it is in the right way, but probably the psu is your problem.

Nixx

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
My friend had the same problem. When we put in a new power supply it worked. If thats not it you may have to update the BIOS and drivers for the mobo. The CPU upgrade was quite a jump and i suggest you also upgrade your mobo

BeastSS

BeastSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to both of you. I informed my friend, and he will be coming back on Sunday to visit his PC. I was amazed that his computer ran when we built it off the 250 W power supply. With your comments, it all came back to me. On my PC that I built, I use an Enermax 650 W power supply and have never had power related problems. We built his with the cheapest components available, and now I think it is biting us.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
lol, if your computer tries to run off of 250 wats-believe it or not- it can decrease the life of your parts from the strain. dont turn it on untill you get the new psu in.

Nixx