Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop has trouble rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Nadrii

Nadrii

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I own an HP Pavilion dv6000. I've had this thing for almost 2 years now. A while back I spilled a drink on the keyboard and it hasn't worked since. Everything else is fine, though. I use a USB keyboard and it works great.

My problem is this - whenever I reboot my computer it has trouble starting back up. After a while being off it'll start up fine. While it's on it runs fine. It's near spotless to the best of my knowledge of malware and I haven't had any problems with it. However, when I try to reboot or when I'm forced to by a Windows update, it turns off and won't turn itself on. When it tries to turn on the lights turn on across the top of my keyboard and some internal noise is obvious, but then it shuts off. I hit the power button and the same thing happens. I try it 3 or 4, sometimes more, times and it won't turn on. After quite a few attempts it'll always eventually start up, but it's rather annoying.

Any clue what might be causing this?

Edited by Nadrii, 15 April 2010 - 04:00 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Under a laptop's keyboard is the main circuit-board and all the internal wiring and components. So when you spilled liquid on the keyboard there's a very good chance it damaged not only the kb but an internal component as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW from here and save it to your Desktop:
Double-click VEW.exe
Under Select log to query... select
Application
System
Under select type to list select
Error
Warning

Then Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log....Please cut and paste the Output log in your next reply