Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen display issue

• Please log in to reply

endersen

endersen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone,
I tell you the whole story;
First the bezel of my inspiron 1525 started to tear apart a little bit, so I was able to see the hinge.
I started later to have some display issues, had to close, re-open the lid sometimes several times to get it working. Then I could see a dark area on the bottom left corner of the screen, very hot at touching.

Until the nice day that it didn't work anymore at all, at startup I could just see Dell for a fraction of second before it goes off again, and I can sometimes see on my laptop screen an extremely faint image. (I have to navigate my multiboot without seing it, which hopefully I know enough to deal with...)
I am working now with an external monitor, that switches on only when windows is loaded (but it's not such a big problem)so it's not a graphic-card hardware problem,

However I wanted my laptop to work again; So I bought a new inverter, replaced the older one, and I still have the same exact issue: dell screen for 1/10 a second, faint image and so on..

So, what should I try next?
I read it could be the back light tube; but can't it be another defectuous item such as a wire ?

Thank you for the support!

Edited by endersen, 15 April 2010 - 06:42 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi enderson, :)

I can sometimes see on my laptop screen an extremely faint image

This usually means the "backlight" has gone out. So look at replacing that. Also, to test this, if you hold a flash light at it closely, can you see the display better?

Also, a very trusted and 35+ years of experience friend tells me all the time, it's just easier and quicker to replace the entire monitor on a laptop instead of dealing with inverter's and backlights, etc. So that may be something you want to look into and compare the costs of the two in cahoots with how old the laptop is/how much money are you willing to invest.

Ebay is a good spot to look for laptop parts and monitors.

Edited by Ferrari, 15 April 2010 - 07:20 AM.

endersen

endersen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your reply and advice,
I got my inverter from ebay :)

I definitely see better when I use a flash light,
I think I might buy only the light tube because the price of a whole screen is about 100 euros, while that tube is only 17 (shipment included).

thanks Ferrari.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Your welcome. :)

That's about as far as my knowledge goes with that stuff, so good luck.

endersen

endersen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just giving some feedback
I received the light tube; when I opened under my LCD screen I discovered that actually there had been a small fire inside my laptop; the wires connecting the tube are melted and black;
I didn't figure out already how I would replace the former welded connections since I don't have the equipment; but at least I know exactly the issue.
I might bring my laptop to someone more competent.

edit: topic solved

Edited by endersen, 19 April 2010 - 01:17 AM.